Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Syndol

(154 Posts)
juneybean Sun 11-Mar-12 18:42:31

Why is there a shortage? sad I really don't like the boots own paracetamol and codeine, too chalky.

-moan-

frecklyspeckly Sun 11-Mar-12 21:39:45

syndol isn't going to be available again to buy over the counter I am afraid. Licence been removed as too many people abusing. Same with paramol and propain. Sorry. Everyone very cross I know.

juneybean Sun 11-Mar-12 23:59:44

Oh very dear!

doinmummy Mon 12-Mar-12 00:03:33

Syndol! I took 2 of them once and was asleep for a whole day!! They're strong stuff.

frecklyspeckly Tue 13-Mar-12 21:59:18

absolutely, doinmummy, they are v strong stuff. Although the do appear to be very good at removing the old headaches etc,they remove huge chunks of time/memory/judgment etc at same time

<sobs>

They were the only thing that shifted my hellish stress-headaches.

<sobs some more>

outofthefryingpan Sat 17-Mar-12 16:24:42

It's a licensing issue. They haven't been withdrawn for problems with abuse or any other reason. The company that made them has been taken over and the new manufacturer found a licensing discrepancy. They will be on sale later in the year. September by all accounts.

Jajas Sat 17-Mar-12 16:47:20

Freckly, I think it depends on how many you took!

They were fantastic for my awful headaches too (sympathies Katie) and I didn't ever abuse them.

I have 4 left which I will guard with my life and keep for emergencies such as being on a plane with a migraine or some such.

Surely if it was a problem with abuse all the medicines containing codeine would be on prescription only but you can still buy co-codamol over the counter?

Jajas Sat 17-Mar-12 16:48:41

Freckly, is your information official? So much conflicting information.

noddyholder Sat 17-Mar-12 16:50:57

They have been discontinued and i read they weren't being re introduced Boots have also withdrawn their 'version' tension headache relief tablets

ledkr Sat 17-Mar-12 16:52:07

I am also devastated,I had finally found a cure for my migraines.

It was the fact they stopped the nausea that was usefull to me.

Does anyone know if similar is available on prescription.

Does anyone else object to being treated like a child?

They were the only thing that worked for my awful hormonal migraines. sad Nothing else seems to work anywhere near as well.

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Sat 17-Mar-12 17:02:30

What fryingpan said

Jajas Sat 17-Mar-12 18:35:24

I asked at my GP and she said that they didn't provide them on prescription as they NHS aren't obliged to stock them. She did mention something about a private prescription but I was preoccupied with another issue at the time and got sidetracked - need to follow up that avenue of thought and will let you all know.

I hate being treated like a child yes, I would have thought that the amount of people it gave positive pain relief to far outweighed the number who would abuse it. Let's face it if someone is going to abuse codeine or whatever they are plenty of other ways to do so.

I had a migraine the other day and it took ages to get over it, it's not just a case of finding something else - I spent 20 years with migraines I couldn't deal with and had in last decade actually found something that worked. It is quite misery inducing that it no longer exists.

Posters that are saying it will be back in September - can I ask how you know for sure?

outofthefryingpan Sat 17-Mar-12 19:45:20

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9131315/Shortage-of-household-medicines-due-to-licensing-issue.html

outofthefryingpan Sat 17-Mar-12 19:51:03

Boots own brand also made by same manufacturer which is why that too is temporarily out if production. It's nothing to do with addiction potential. Don't panic it will be back. If you're that bothered Migralieve Pink has codeine & an anti sickness ingredient. For proper migraine Sumatriptan can be bought at the chemist & works far better than syndol for migraine. You can also still get cocodamol over the counter too.

ledkr Sat 17-Mar-12 20:04:43

Thanks frying thats useful to know,for me its the nausea that makes it more unbearable. On wed i had to take 2 paracetamol 2 brufen and 2 domperidone juist to get through the day.

outofthefryingpan Sat 17-Mar-12 20:43:09

If it's any consolation that's not a lot. Go and see a GP & get some proper stuff prescribed. You will get much more for your money on prescription and will be much more effective than OTC stuff. Do try triptans for migraine. Been a revelation for me. Switches the pain and nausea off completely. Good luck.

ledkr Sat 17-Mar-12 20:52:36

Will get some tomorrow thanks. I am inclined to be sicky with most things.

I know that wasnt a lot but tyhe only reason it worked was because I have start to notice my early signs in my case its yawning and moodiness.
I have suffered from them for a couple of years after each baby i think its the epidural maybe.DD is now 1 so hopefully should be getting less soon.

Jajas Sat 17-Mar-12 21:10:29

Imigran (sumatripitan) is great but I find that the Syndol relaxes you more (doxylamine) I think that ingredient is the key to its effectiveness. Co-codamol doesn't contain that or caffeine so not the same.

Migraleve pink doesn't contain those ingredients either although yes it helps with the nausea although I find by the time you feel hideously sick taking the pills just makes you feel worse.

Migraleve does absolutely nothing for me, except make me feel even more sick.

juneybean Sat 17-Mar-12 23:42:23

Migraleve was crap, syndol was the only thing that actually worked for, I've started taking my paracetamol and codeine with a swig of red bull just to get the caffeine element wink

Jajas Sun 18-Mar-12 10:25:33

Does it help Juney? I wondered about making up my own concoction! I think the anti histamine element (doxylamine) really helped with the tension element.

juneybean Sun 18-Mar-12 13:18:07

Not really :/ not as much as Syndol used to.

gingeroots Sun 18-Mar-12 20:23:57

How about propain plus ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now