Skin so soft as anti-mosquito spray

(31 Posts)

I've heard people on here talking about Avon SSS as a good anti-mosquito spray, does it matter which one you buy?

They have several different scents/formulations on the website. I get bitten to feck a lot, but I'm still breast feeding, so don't want to use the traditional products.

And does it really work? (Hopeful!)

NaomiD1212 Sun 08-Jun-14 16:34:30

I have ordered Johnson baby oil with mosquito repellant ....it's getting great reviews but not sure if it's available in the uk, I ordered mine thou amazon and it seems to be coming from Thailand !!! Haven't heard any reports on the Avon one

SwedishEdith Sun 08-Jun-14 16:41:34

Apparently the Marines use it. I saw a discarded bottle in a Scottish loch once.

I suspect it's a myth, didn't work for me.

OscarWinningActress Sun 08-Jun-14 16:44:01

We were always sent to overnight camp with it, growing up. It works!

OldLadyKnowsSomething Sun 08-Jun-14 16:46:06

Skin So Soft is supposed to be good against the Scottish midge. Mozzies are a different beast.

You have to get the original formula, not the newer ones. I think its labelled in green IIRC.

fuckweasel Sun 08-Jun-14 16:51:31

Mosi Guard doesn't have any nasties like DEET in. It's proven to be as effective as DEET repellents I believe. I used it in malarial Africa and did not get bitten.

I thought it repelled midges, not Mosquitos.

catsofa Sun 08-Jun-14 16:56:10

I'm not sure about mosquitoes, but it's very good against Scottish midges. They now make a version with insect repellent in it which would defeat the purpose for you (not wanting to use those additives), and is not necessary for midge protection anyway - any of the normal/scented ones work fine.

If you do mean mosquitoes and are going somewhere where you'll be risking malaria, then that probably needs proper medical prevention advice rather than Skin So Soft, as malaria risk may well be worse than any risk from DEET etc.

Bunbaker Sun 08-Jun-14 23:32:17

It doesn't work as a mosquito repellent for me either.

OH is a biting insect magnet and always has to cover every millimetre of skin with insect repellent or he gets bitten. He uses Jungle Formula which contains deet or Autan which contains icaridin. Both are equally as effective.

According to point 6 on this website it is safe to use deet if you are breastfeeding as long as you use it sparingly.

NecklessMumster Sun 08-Jun-14 23:37:55

I hope it works as I've just bought 3 bottles, original. But I've got deet, plug ins, wipes etc as well.

ErrolTheDragon Sun 08-Jun-14 23:40:56

They sell SSS in scottish pharmacies - the only avon product I've ever come across in a normal shop. DH bought some (a 'dry oil spray') when we were on Mull last week and the midge season had started earlier - the reason why it's effective against midges is presumably its citronella content.

Bunbaker Sun 08-Jun-14 23:44:48

I think citronella works with people who are only mildly attractive to midges, but OH really needs the stronger stuff as all biting insects make a beeline for him.

All the old wives tales of eating and drinking certain things are just that - old wives tales.

catsofa Mon 09-Jun-14 00:20:59

I think it works something like Hedrin, coating the skin in a dry oil which makes it physically difficult for midges to survive. IME all the midges which would have bitten me end up dead and stuck to my skin. That sounds horrible but it is a lot better than getting bitten!

nicename Mon 09-Jun-14 00:26:56

I think it does work to a degree, but a lot of it is luck of the draw. Some years the little buggers are more bitey than others.

I usually try to buy 'local' bug sprays when I'm abroad but its a toss up if its me of DH who gets eaten alive. We have never both been targeted by the biteys at the same time. It's usually DH who gets the bites though (maybe its the mayonnaise I smear on him when he's asleep).

Vintagebeads Mon 09-Jun-14 07:59:01

I lived in Central America for a few years and we used them all.
SSS was the best and the mossies were huge.
We always stayed indoors at sunrise and sunset to help too.

GrassyBottom Mon 09-Jun-14 09:18:55

Please remember that Malaria is deadly really not worth taking the risk of not using proper insecticide.

specialsubject Mon 09-Jun-14 12:49:36

...as is dengue.

Sidge Mon 09-Jun-14 18:59:04

It's worth a try if you just want to avoid getting bitten by midgies in the UK.

If you're wanting to avoid bites somewhere exotic PLEASE do not rely on SSS - if there is a risk of malaria, dengue fever, chikungunya fever, West Nile virus - you need proper insect repellent with DEET and possibly antimalarials as well.

CampingClaire Thu 12-Jun-14 10:23:29

If it's just midges...this is the business and it smells nice!! tinyurl.com/q2oa94n We use it all the time and I finally get left alone by the little blighter!! Yippee!! Used to get attacked and would come out in huge itchy bumps. Tried the Skin so Soft but it didn't work for me though I do know people who think it works. Agree with others about mozzies...this may work but you need proper medicine just incase! Longterm health issues from malaria are not to be laughed at! I know someone who had to get a liver transplant two years ago after a bout of malaria about 15 years ago!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 12-Jun-14 10:29:15

Skin so soft didn't work for me, I don't normally get bitten but they really went for me when I had that on!

WildThong Thu 12-Jun-14 19:05:43

Ooh, that Highland Midge Lotion looks interesting, they say it works for mozzies too.

WallyBantersJunkBox Fri 13-Jun-14 00:01:58

I asked DH about this as he had talked about using it in the army previously. It was only used for Midges as others have stated.

Please take Autan, Off or Jungle formula. I bought some impregnated wipes which were easy to use on DC last month. They were great. Get a plug in device for the bedroom too.

A bite pen is pretty handy too, stings when applied but stops the itching of a bite.

And a lot of people swear by yeast tablets - DH drinks tonic everyday, the mozzies can't stand the smell of him!

Princessjonsie Sat 14-Jun-14 02:35:11

My tip in B6 and odourless garlic tablets. Buy them cheap in asda and take a three weeks before you travel and while you are there. I do it and never get bitten. My husband refuses and said it's bull and gets eaten alive. I also use the Avon shower oil and body oil and again never get bit. If it doesn't work at least it's good for you and it's natural

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now