May Half Term Guaranteed Sun/Warmth

(12 Posts)
mumof2energeticboys Wed 02-Apr-14 11:25:49

My little one has been ill this year so we really need a break as a family. We want to go away for the May Half Term, wondered how risky it is going to the Med or whether we would need to go to Egypt/Dubai. Or would these be too hot. Please help?

specialsubject Wed 02-Apr-14 11:27:28

no guarantees anywhere, it has even rained in the emirates recently.

what is too hot for you? Are you happy with the long flight to Dubai and what there is to do there? What about the Canaries?

the Med can be lovely at this time, but I did several summers in Greece and all but one half-term week was stormy. How the weather knows that the prices are higher is beyond me!

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 02-Apr-14 12:25:39

I've just got back from Dubai and it's an amazing holiday destination, so much to do and the hotels were out of this world. I stayed at Atlantis the Palm and it was my joint best holiday I have ever been on. However if you didn't want the longish flight and time change would you consider Tunisia or Morrocco?

mummymeister Wed 02-Apr-14 14:30:31

we always use the website accuweather. we have found it to be really good when trying to pick where to go and when.

noramum Wed 02-Apr-14 15:49:30

We went three years ago to Majorca and had a really bad, wet and cold week. A colleague owns a flat there and according to him rain end of May is not uncommon.

foxdongle Wed 02-Apr-14 18:53:30

Cyprus, Turkey? both can be v hot at that time
what about Italy, Malta, slovenia, croatia, or Corsica?

you can get rain/thunderstorms or a heatwave almost anywhere,tbh.

toolatetobed Thu 03-Apr-14 21:39:04

I would check out typical weather for Crete - a lot further south than the other Greek islands so warms up earlier! I agree that the Balearics aren't guaranteed to have good weather that early in the year.

lazypepper Mon 07-Apr-14 13:03:56

I would usually have said anywhere on the Med would have been sunny and warm by the end of May. However, last year I took DS for a short break to the Costa Brava and it was definitely not sunbathing weather.

Canary islands stand a good chance of being good weather though.

Hersetta Tue 08-Apr-14 10:17:16

We went to Kos last year in May half term and it was on average 27 degrees - this year we are going to Tunisia and hoping for around the same.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 08-Apr-14 10:57:30

Turkey is usually beautiful at the end of May, hot in the day but not scorching like the summer months, and warm in the evenings. The sea and the pools will have warmed up by that time too.

mumof2energeticboys Sun 13-Apr-14 11:52:08

Thanks everyone, will look into turkey a bit more

OnGoldenPond Mon 14-Apr-14 11:10:14

Just got back from Mazarron, Costa Calida, just down the coast from Alicante. It is a little local desert microclimate so very rarely rains except in November. Very reliable sunshine I was there last week and temps were reaching 27 degrees . By May the temps will probably be reaching 30s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now