Spending budget italy summer holiday

(16 Posts)
frazzled74 Sun 09-Feb-14 09:07:46

I'm trying to work out a budget for my week holiday to bella italia , peshchieria with 2 adults and 4 dcs, how much would be the minimum that I would need to take spending ? I've accounted for 2 theme park/ city days out seperately so it's just food for the week, mainly eating in but the odd lunch out but nothing fancy? Are the prices in supermarkets extortionate? We have to buy everything there as flying, not driving . Thanks for any advice as I've never done a euro camp type holiday before .

3catsandcounting Sun 09-Feb-14 10:26:28

We're staying at Del Garda Campsite in a mobile home in August (first time for us too!) so watching with interest. As far as I know the shops on these sites are fine but more expensive than supermarkets (I think there are a few nearby). I'm reckoning on spending around the same as our normal S/C hols with the added expense of a couple of theme park days. Last year in Spain we had 11 nights, and spent around £850; (2 adults, 2 hungry teens) that included all food for breakfast, lunch and dinner and lots of wine! We ate out every other night and did a few local tourist visits to caves etc. Also a few tennis sessions. So, I'd reckon on £75 a day; excluding theme parks. Do you normally S/C?

3catsandcounting Sun 09-Feb-14 10:28:25

Just seen you have 4 DCs, so bump that daily rate up a bit!!

3catsandcounting Sun 09-Feb-14 10:34:21

However, if you don't eat out every other night like us you could lower that rate considerably! Eat in and walk into town later for a gorgeous ice-cream. We did that a few times; saves ££s!

Creamycoolerwithcream Sun 09-Feb-14 11:20:31

I'd probably take whatever you normally spend on food at home plus another �60 a day. That way you would have money for a few lunches out, ice creams, extra bottles of wine etc.

3catsandcounting Sun 09-Feb-14 11:53:15

I agree creamy; some days we stay by the pool and eat in; other than a few drinks out in the evening maybe, we can spend next to nothing. Other days you may go out sightseeing, lunch and drinks and ice-creams out and you get through the €s. only thing about being on a campsite, there'll be more temptation for kids to spend (my DD16 has announced she is reserving a table for one at the on-site pizzeria every day at noon - with the possibility of an evening reservation too!!!) I think she's joking :/

dingit Sun 09-Feb-14 11:59:02

There is a lidl near Bella Italia.

Creamycoolerwithcream Sun 09-Feb-14 11:59:39

I'm actually cooking some Chicago Town pizzas at the moment and dreaming of pizzeria ones plus lots of wine of course.

frazzled74 Sun 09-Feb-14 20:17:21

I can't wait! I usually budget around £50 per day self catering uk then add on a bit more for cinema trips , theme park/zoo etc . A lidl would be fab. Dh doesn't drink and dd is 2 so doesn't eat much , the other 3 are under 11 and not big eaters so eating out is usually a waste of money, pizzeria sounds good though ! And wine! I'm thinking £100 per day plus £200 for a couple of trips out should be plenty, thanks for replies.

dingit Sun 09-Feb-14 20:54:38

My dh loved the ice cream parlour, one euro a scoop. The restaurant was lovely as a treat. We went in August when it was hot, and BBQd the rest of the time. There is a lovely fruit and veg shop on site that wasn't too expensive, and supermarket for odds and ends.

frazzled74 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:04:35

1euro a scoop isn't bad, (unless its a teaspoon size scoop) its good to know all this info, thank you." A BBQ is a good idea, not quite like cooking.

dingit Mon 10-Feb-14 08:13:35

No, big scoops, but he was having 3 by the end of the holiday. You will love Bella Italia, enjoy!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 10-Feb-14 11:34:17

I think we budgeted around �100 a day when we went to Italy 2 years ago. People said it would be really expensive but we didn'y find it too bad, apart from the obvioulsy touristy places like Florence but that is the same anywhere. Wine is very cheap in the supermarkets smile

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 10-Feb-14 11:37:53

I'm planning on taking ds when he breaks up for the summer. We're going to fly to Venice, spend a couple of days there then travel on the train to Rome. Then we'll spend a couple of days there, then travel to Naples, then spend a couple of days there before flying home. I'd say 100€ is about right, depends on how much shopping you're planning on doing as well, maybe? smile

Bunbaker Tue 11-Feb-14 19:44:13

Allow enough money for ferry trips as well. We stayed in Sirmione last year and visited Pescheira on market day. You must visit Sirmione as it isn't far and is brilliant.

SusanneLinder Tue 25-Feb-14 15:20:35

Im going to Del Garda in June, when are you there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now