Is it even possible to buy a beach holiday for under £1000?

(15 Posts)
kateecass Wed 29-Jan-14 19:51:26

Martin Lewis was on This morning talking about this this week. They said they were going to put the details on the ITV website. He talked about the cheapest ways of doing flights, hotels, packages etc. he also said the cheapest places to go were the traditional package holiday places like Malaga, Marbella, Majorca. I need to have a look too.

cantbelievemyeyes Wed 29-Jan-14 19:47:04

I book flights and accommodation separately usually for the best price, but have only done it for 2 adults and outside of school holidays. Last couple of holidays were to Crete which cost £200 pp for flights, and £50 total for a week in a SC 1 bedroom apartment via Alpharooms. Same apartments and flights in a package from Thomson was around £800 versus under £500 for booking independently. I'd check out the cheapest flight destinations and then look on the likes of Alpharooms, Travelrepublic etc for cheap accommodation.

mummymeister Wed 29-Jan-14 12:57:57

airbandb website usually has cheap accommodation on it but you will get what you pay for I am afraid. £28.50 per person per night isn't much when you break it down.

magentastardust Wed 29-Jan-14 12:28:19

October hols cheaper option too-We have been to Portugal in October before and had really good weather and accommodation was really cheap.

Mallorca also have great deals in October but I would be wary of the weather then.

magentastardust Wed 29-Jan-14 12:26:33

With 5 you will struggle to get a hotel room so will prob need at least a 2 bed s/c apartment or similar.
There are cheap apartments out there on sites like owners direct or holidaylettings -but you would have to make sure to get a location where you could walk and not rely on a car.
Spain and Portugal are among the cheapest accommodation wise.
Where do you need to fly from? I have been looking at flights for a family of 5 and struggling to come in much under £800-£1000.

Could you drive to and camp in France ?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 29-Jan-14 11:09:53

That is just £200 each for flights and accomodation. You may be able to get flights to Spain, Portugal or Italy and then look for cheap accomodation.

What about camping? You could drive to France and camp, that would probably work out cheaper.

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 29-Jan-14 11:04:19

I don't think you will get a package for £200 per person. Check travel republic and look for flights with short times to say Portugal, Majorca on midweek days and dodgy times of the day and tap in self catering. I think with some suitcases and transfers you are probably looking at least £800 to just get somewhere.

We went to Corfu last year for £800 for two weeks for the two of us self catering. We booked with Thomas Cook. Not sure what prices would be for a family but we definitely found Corfu to be the cheapest place to go on a package.

givemeaclue Tue 28-Jan-14 21:57:19

Euro camp outside school hols?

wannabestressfree Tue 28-Jan-14 20:51:04

Spain I would have thought. I would try easy jet and then look at accommodation. There is a website 'ice lolly' or something thing like that they give you a price on a separate basis for a holiday.
I have to see cheapest I got for five was about £1,500 to Greece.

youbethemummylion Tue 28-Jan-14 20:50:35

Look at Menorca in October especially owners direct villas. Also how about one of the Spanish or French sun £9.50 hols get the ferry and drive rather than fly to make it cheaper

barleysugar Tue 28-Jan-14 20:48:34

Thanks for the reply. Any idea on locations to look at to try?

wannabestressfree Tue 28-Jan-14 20:46:00

I would try to do flights and accommodation separately for a cheaper deal

barleysugar Tue 28-Jan-14 20:26:25

Anyone?

barleysugar Tue 28-Jan-14 20:05:33

Have been looking for a cheap package deal for us, two adults, three children. Don't mind where but would love somewhere with a beach and sunny!

I can't believe how expensive it is, even looking outside school holidays as a last resort.

Even half board or self catered its coming in at around £1000!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now