school holidays prices shocking

(39 Posts)
princesscupcakemummyb Fri 25-Oct-13 15:50:07

ive been sat here looking into our family holiday for 2014 now usually we wouldnt be restricted by dates month etc but now the oldest dd goes school full time we only have half terms and 6 week holidays i cant belive how much these holiday parks charge for these times of the year its oer double any other time of the year i was wondering how does everyone else do it with school children ? do you just bite the bullet and pay the stupid excess or do you just not go on holiday at all? any replies appreciated thanks all

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 25-Oct-13 15:54:07

What kinds of places are you looking at?

Somewhere like centerparcs really does ramp the prices up massively, because people with children are their whole market. Out of season they are relatively cheap compared to other places.

We find that for the price you would pay for CP, or often less, you can stay in a really nice hotel with great facilities and half board included.

Bunbaker Fri 25-Oct-13 15:55:13

Bite the bullet or change expectations.

TwoLeftSocks Fri 25-Oct-13 16:01:31

We changed expectations. We can only now afford to go camping in the UK, and even campsites rack up fees over the summer holidays. Haven't been abroad, stayed in a hotel or holiday cottage since DS1 started school. Youth hostel twice but never again.

givemeaclue Sat 26-Oct-13 09:59:44

Have you tried sun vouchers

princesscupcakemummyb Sat 26-Oct-13 12:53:44

good suggestions their all thank you i shall have a good look around we only ever holiday in the uk due to no passports

Whereisegg Sat 26-Oct-13 13:01:13

Yes I'd recommend the sun vouchers too.

We only went for parks with free clubhouse passes and gas/electricity.

With sheets etc for 4 of us it ended up at about £60 for mon-fri.
We saved all our coppers for the penny pushers, and took food for breakfasts.
Only slept in the caravans really.

mummymeister Sun 27-Oct-13 21:22:26

I did another thread on chat about this. on average this year in particular because of changes to school holiday laws prices are up around 30%. more families chasing the same number of hols because they cannot pull kids out a day or two or more earlier and take term time hols. either change where you go, or take the hit in fines.

tobiasfunke Fri 08-Nov-13 09:27:14

I have been looking at holiday parks in the UK this year and am shocked by the prices as it's our first year having to go in the school holidays. I have been finding that private caravan hire on the sites is often much less expensive than the companies. www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/uklets.html
www.ukcaravans4hire.com/
www.caravans4let.co.uk/

notthefirstagainstthewall Fri 08-Nov-13 13:32:37

It's only considerably more expensive for package holidays really.

We have always organised our own holiday and if you buy early flights and apartment rental or book a hotel last minute prices are fine. Plenty of hotels have kids clubs etc - you don't have to go with Mark Warner or Club med. Also look at last minute sites and cheap cruise sites. I usually do a couple of city break type things with my son in the year (UK as well as abroad) and just see what we fancy doing for the summer early June time.

Some places such as Rome are cheaper anyway in August due to heat/holidays etc.

AngelsWithSilverWings Fri 08-Nov-13 13:49:50

It's no coincidence that we bought our tent the year my DS started school!

We used to just accept that our annual holiday in August would cost about £4k and until last year that is what we spent.

Money is tighter now and we have had to adjust our expectations of when and where we can go on holiday. Summer holidays will be camping only from now on and we try to do our main holiday at Easter , Whitsun or during October half term as we have found these times to be cheaper.

Next year we are doing a Eurocamp holiday ( mobile home not a tent,) during the Whitsun half term. We have managed to make it a 9 day holiday because of a non pupil day and it has cost £1200 for four of us. Compared to the £4k we used to spend on our main holiday it's a bargain.

One positive to come out of it is that we have noticed that we seem to be more relaxed on the cheaper , camping type holidays than on the more expensive holidays which involve queuing at airports, baggage allowances ( or lack of) and bun fights over sunbeds!

givemeaclue Fri 08-Nov-13 14:42:25

We are going Whitsun plus 4 days unauthorised absence from school. Did this last year but school authorised 5 days absent.

CreamyCooler Fri 08-Nov-13 17:19:02

Sometimes the last week of August is a bit cheaper than the beginning of the six week holiday.

TheArticFunky Fri 08-Nov-13 18:36:17

Does it have to be a holiday park? We tend to stay at smaller family owned sites or farms. They are a lot cheaper, fewer facilities but we only use the accommodation as a base.

myron Sun 10-Nov-13 00:42:20

Since dc1 started school, we have chosen to take our main holiday at Whitsun half term or easter and buy flights way in advance if possible.

SoonToBeSix Sun 10-Nov-13 01:21:17

You can take four days unauthorised absence without being fined. Fines are only for five or more days per term.

lljkk Sun 10-Nov-13 01:36:47

Anecdotes on MN suggest otherwise, Soon2b6.

SoonToBeSix Sun 10-Nov-13 02:11:45

Maybe it's just our local authority then

mummymeister Sun 10-Nov-13 23:33:29

Soon2be6 sorry but you are wrong. the law has changed. There is no 5 day or 10 rule any more. thanks to Mr Gove heads have been told that only absence under exceptional circumstances can be granted and this does NOT include family holidays unless for service personnel on leave. some head teachers are using their discretion to allow 4,5 or whatever days but they are going to be jumped upon by Ofsted because the law is very very clear now. if you take even one day it is £60 per child per parent so £120 for 1, £240 for 2 and so on. in some areas it is £60 per leave but in others £60 per day. this isn't an anecdote lljkk this is now the law. unfortunately parents haven't woken up to it yet but holiday companies have and lots are hiking prices in school holidays to cover for the lack of family bookings in term time. there is no discretion not to fine and refer to the LEA unless the head authorises the absence and the heads have been told by gove by law that they must not. this is all really going to hit the fan in January when most holiday bookings take place and families start to realise this.

SoonToBeSix Mon 11-Nov-13 01:57:16

No, I realise that the holidays are not authorised however in my local authority at least fines only kick in at five days or more per term. Any less they count as unauthorised absence but with no fines.

notthefirstagainstthewall Mon 11-Nov-13 07:10:34

there is no discretion not to fine

That is incorrect. The law has only changed in as far as holidays in term time should not be authorised. The fine is also increased but there is no obligation to fine parents. It is still at the descrection of the head'deputy and/or LEA

givemeaclue Mon 11-Nov-13 07:18:59

Soontobesix
Our local authority has also indicated they won't be fining till five days. We are taking 4 days joined onto whit, plus these is an inset day.

Mummymeist local authorities are not compelled to fine

I will let you all know whether we get fined for your four days or not, cut not expecting to be

Blu Mon 11-Nov-13 08:14:12

OP, in general once your kids are in school you have to cut your cloth / adjust your expectations about holidays. That's just the way it is, and you are taking your hols alongside every other family that has school age children.

Even people who have taken kids out once or twice would tend not to do it every year and once you are in the swing of having your kids in school you get used to it.

Surely you knew this? But it does come as a shock once the lack of flexibility becomes a reality .

katelo10 Mon 11-Nov-13 08:49:08

Could I ask - do you get fined if your child is poorly? Or would you have to get a doctors note?
My daughter starts nursery next September so I don't know about fines etc.
Does anybody know if the fines apply to nursery age or is it when they legally have to be at school?
Thanks so much.

SoonToBeSix Mon 11-Nov-13 10:20:08

Katelo no you don't need a doctors note and fines only apply once dc are school age not nursery .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now