Anyone live in Kent? Half term things to do advice needed please!

(14 Posts)

We're coming down to Kent next week to stay near Ashford, (supposed to be going to France but someone ahem didn't get organised in time).

I'd love some advice on where we could take DS2 on his birthday. He wants to go to a WW2 museum as he is studying that at the moment and is fascinated by it. Any recommendations?

Also we'd like to spend the day at the seaside - which one???

Any advice gratefully received! Oh, and if OYBBK is around - could you sort some nice weather out for us pleeeeease! thlwink

Anyone in Kent on MN? Hmm, maybe I should have included "Free flapjack that's just out of the oven to anyone who replies" in the title!

Try MN local?

This should help: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museums_in_Kent

oh thanks Blue will have a look at both! <hands over piece of flapjack>

Mmmm nommm delicious!

PortoFiendo Wed 23-Oct-13 10:48:53

WW2 Tunnels at Dover Castle would be perfect. Though go early as it gets busy.

PortoFiendo Wed 23-Oct-13 10:51:09

Canterbury is always worth a visit. Broadstairs is the best resort IMHO, Deal is nice. Folkestone Harbour or Whitstable good for seafood.

noramum Wed 23-Oct-13 11:28:22

Dover Castle

Chartwell in Westerham, the country house Winston Churchill owned

Hever Castle

Leeds Castle

oh thanks for these ideas. I have done some research but I do like a personal opinion!

Leeds Castle is very expensive but has an excellent outdoor play area (at the end fortunately) so a dry day would be good.

We used to go to the seaside at Sandwich, or walking at South Foreland.

Not far into Sussex you get Bodiam as well.

singinggirl Wed 23-Oct-13 15:50:33

Hornby and airfix museum ( usually have some activities on in half term) and spitfire museum? Both near Manston.

Broadstairs is good for seaside. The crazy golf is usually open if the weather is half decent. We will be in Kent (wye) from Friday until Tuesday, so will certainly have a trip to Broadstairs!

Another friend recommended Broadstairs Norman so I think we might check it out. Your post made me wonder....have playmobil ever brought out a crazy golf course?! smile
Have looked at the secret tunnels at Dover Castle and they look great too!

I don't think so! Actually I think crazy golf might be a peculiarly British thing, and Playmobil originates from Germany, so I suppose they wouldn't think of it.

The crazy golf place has a café too, which has pots of tea with lovely hand knitted tea cosies! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now