Turkey in August!!

(9 Posts)
queenjellybelly Sun 22-Sep-13 00:12:48

My family went to an amazing AI hotel in turkey, just outside Bodrum, this may. Private beach, family suites, stunning pool...lovely & just perfect for kids. Weather was good, up to 34C but rather nippy at night. In fact my 8yo dd & I were freezing as all entertainment was outside! Anyway, we agreed to go back next year & due to school holiday rules I've booked last 2 weeks in August. I'm now panicking massively that it will be too hot. I know I'm being a bit daft but would love some reassurance from anyone who's been that it will be bloody lovely. Everyone I've mentioned it to has pretty much told me I'm cuckoo!

CatelynStark Sun 22-Sep-13 00:15:02

I was in Side last August and it was bloody roasting. Sorry smile

specialsubject Sun 22-Sep-13 09:48:04

yes, it will be very hot. That's the Med in August for you.

May is often quite cool at night.

queenjellybelly Sun 22-Sep-13 10:28:53

I like it to be consistently hot on holiday but am a worrier, especially when I've forked out a lot of pennies. Don't want to be stuck inside the whole fortnight! Will def be sensible & kids will have uv swimsuits, plenty of fluids, factor 50etc. Bloody school holiday rules pretty much mean that any fortnights beach holiday has to be in the height of summer & turkey is so much more reasonably priced than other beach destinations.

Egg Sun 22-Sep-13 10:38:22

We went to Olu Deniz last month and although it was 38 to 40 degrees each day it was lovely and we rarely felt too hot. We were in and out of the water a lot and could sit in shade. Evenings were nice and warm.

I had taken travel games etc as anticipated being inside during the hottest part of each day but we were usually out from 10 until 5/6 each day and nobody got burnt / sunstroke.

We went with our children who are all age 7 and under and everyone loved it.

queenjellybelly Sun 22-Sep-13 10:50:03

Egg, thank you! Just needed that bit of reassurance! Sounds like you had a fab time & really looking forward to ours next year. Was just other people's reactions to when we were going made me think I'd made a mistake. At least going back to same hotel, we know exactly what to expect. Am liking the idea of sea/pool being warmer & not needing coats at night!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sun 22-Sep-13 15:39:19

Yes, it will be hot but I'm sure you will cope fine. I'm assuming the hotel has air conditioning and you can jump in the pool if you get too hot. It will probably be low to mid 30s but could get higher on occasion.

Which hotel are you going to? I used to live in Bodrum and we are looking to go back for a holiday next year too smile

queenjellybelly Sun 22-Sep-13 22:09:22

Sootica, we're staying at the bodrum imperial. Pretty much self contained holiday village & really isolated but loads for the kids to do & everything you need from a beach holiday. I've been to turkey several times pre-kids & love the history, culture & amazing sights. Do feel like we're missing out a bit by staying at the hotel all the time but my littlest is only 3 so I'm happy to give it a miss until he's old enough to appreciate it. Private beach is lovely with views over to Kos. grin

Budgiegirlbob Tue 24-Sep-13 21:11:54

We went this August, and it was very hot, up to 42 degrees some days. But as long as all you want to do is sit by the pool, swim etc its fine. It was lovely in the evenings, still very warm.

We did go into town to a market one day, and the kids found that to be too hot. They managed a game of footie most days though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now