Flying to Italy with 4 month old.. on Ryanair :( Any tips????

(13 Posts)
sallylove Wed 28-Aug-13 11:07:01

We are travelling to Lucca, Tuscany next month with our 4 month old. I'm dreading the flight as its with Ryanair and I'm still confused about their baggage policy. We have an Uppababy travel system and I don't really understand as its in 2 pieces (pram and car seat) He's still too small to take just a buggy
Has anyone done a similar trip recently???

Squiffie Wed 28-Aug-13 15:30:03

Would a sling be a possibility?! X

EagleRay Wed 28-Aug-13 15:56:40

Hi - we flew with Ryanair to Crete when DD was 4mo so hope I can help...

I don't know too much about Ryanair policies but we took a pushchair and a car seat. I think we paid a little bit extra to take the car seat (it worked out cheaper than hiring one there). We normally use a Baby Jogger CMGT but didn't want to risk getting it damaged so bought a Chicco Liteway for next to nothing (it's much lighter and has umbrella folding). The disadvantage of course was that we couldn't use the car seat with it. I guess it may be a good idea to make sure you are adequately covered for damage too, just in case.

While we were queueing to board, DD started screaming as she was hungry, which was a nightmare as it was almost impossible to sit down and feed her while we were shuffling forwards with all the other passengers. Make sure you allow plenty of time for feeding, changing etc - we failed here! I didn't find the airline staff particularly helpful (one cabin steward even told me he couldn't speak English and therefore couldn't help), and relied a lot on the good nature of fellow passengers to survive the journey.

When it came to boarding, I found it helped to be a bit assertive/sharp elbowed as there were no special arrangements for passengers with babies at all. We were lucky with seating both journeys though as got the very back seats on the plane - they have the advantage of a shelf behind the headrest and so lots of extra space to stow things you may need on the journey, plus were close to the loo (DD pooed constantly during the flight). Make sure you ask for a seat belt for the baby - we had to ask several times and thankfully one materialised just before take-off...

I second Squiffie re the sling. I actually took two - a stretchy sling which I had tied on me during the flight so that I could pop DD in there whenever I needed to, plus a Solarweave Connecta which I hired from a sling library. It folds up very small and was extremely useful when out and about during our holiday. We also had a folding sunshade for the pushchair, plus a large muslin and a couple of clothes pegs to ensure she was totally protected from the sun.

Finally, make sure you stay within the weight limits for your luggage - we had far too much stuff on our return journey and suffered the indignity of having to unpack everything at the check-in desk, watched over by a bemused DD sat in her car seat wondering what sort of incompetents she had for parents blush

Have a good holiday - Ryanair isn't ideal, but you will survive!

Squiffie Wed 28-Aug-13 16:24:50

We are flying Ryanair in October with a 2yr old and 5yr old - not looking forward to it. Do they have an email address for customer questions?! I tried ringing but they took forever to answer and when they did they weren't great! X

EagleRay Wed 28-Aug-13 16:34:38

I doubt it - after all, you can't profit from an email address... Your best bet may be to check recent experiences of other customers, searching on google. Was there anything specific you needed to know?

Squiffie Wed 28-Aug-13 17:06:56

I was just thinking OP could email with regard to pushchair/car seat situ. X

sallylove Thu 29-Aug-13 21:02:08

Thank you for your help!! We will take a sling and use in the airport as maybe easier. I'm confused though as our pushchair is made of two parts (base and carry cot) I wasn't sure if this counted as "one free pushchair" as when its squashed down its 2 parts? Do I need to check one part in as extra?
Thanks though for the tips on clothes pegs and seats on the plane

Thanks again appreciate help, I'll let you know squiffie how it goes!

rootypig Thu 29-Aug-13 22:54:10

We did this hen DD was 5mo, in April. Stansted to Pisa. You can take pram to gate, you leave at bottom of plane steps, it goes in hold. Pram is free. Ours is a one part fold but think two parts still counts as one pram, they just tag both bits. Wouldn't swear to it tho! Car seat = 'baby equipment': charge.

I refused to pay for seats together or get on the plane first with LO - we got on last and asked people to move ie two people in three seat row, empty seat in between, asked them to move down so we were either side of aisle or easy faffing - It was fine.

Ryanair cabin pressure isn't great, and thir ascents / descents are rapid to save fuel. Are you BF? If so, do. Or time bottles as best you can.

EagleRay Thu 29-Aug-13 22:59:42

Sorry - I meant to post again but forgot and just seen your reply Sally

I've had a look online to see what has been discussed about this issue before and found this to be the most useful.

From what I can gather, depending on what you take, you would be charged as follows:

- Base/carrycot/car seat - base/carrycot counts as a pram and will go for free, car seat will be charged

- Base/car seat - counts as a pram and will go for free

It certainly is confusing, and there's no easy way of figuring it out. You could post in Chat for traffic as there's bound to be loads of people who've been in this situation recently.

Also, have checked the small print re liability for damage to luggage and at best it's woolly, so probably a good idea to make sure your travel insurance is covered, and that there isn't a paltry claim limit on each item.

Good luck!

rootypig Thu 29-Aug-13 23:03:19

Sorry, should have been clearer. The bottle / BF is to help with popping ears - the swallowing does it.

Squiffie Fri 30-Aug-13 01:33:09

Thanks for the info re speedy ascents/descents rootypig - must make a note to pack lollipops!

sallylove Fri 30-Aug-13 08:26:06

Thanks EagleRay, thats exactly what I was trying to work out! Brilliant xx

Janek Fri 30-Aug-13 19:38:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now