Where in Germany has the best Christmas markets?

(11 Posts)
Spottypurse Sat 24-Aug-13 20:04:25

And how big a suitcase will I need for the trip home? grin

When's the best time to go?

Spottypurse Sat 24-Aug-13 20:04:58

And what are the must buys?

And who are the best airline to fly with?

hermioneweasley Sat 24-Aug-13 20:06:24

I've been to hamburg when the markets were on (they have several) and they were gorgeous, but rammed.

I think Cologne is the very famous one.

HarryandJess Sat 24-Aug-13 20:09:48

I've been to Hamburg too (about 5 years ago) and it was gorgeous. So was the one in Celle (small town in Luneburge Heide) but obviously a lot smaller. To be fair I think most towns and cities won't disappoint.
I have heard that Nuremburg is the most famous Christmas market though.

TheFallenNinja Sat 24-Aug-13 20:11:40

Hannover used to be great smile

Spottypurse Sat 24-Aug-13 20:14:21

smile

Lots then smile

Lubeck is great, has the advantage of being the cheap Hamburg airport (it is too Hamburg as Stansted is to London).

Great marzipan there, I have never bought a lot, normally eat lots. Stick with Erzgeberger (?sp) Christmas stuff the quality is vastly better in my opinion but so is the price.

as you can see

noramum Sat 24-Aug-13 20:25:17

A great one and very crowded is Nuernber. I think Ryanair now flies to it.

Muenster is nice, Hamburg is good. The best I went to is Rothenburg ob der Tauber but far away from any airport so you would need a car.

BlackandGold Sun 25-Aug-13 18:43:32

I've heard that Nuremberg is the best German Christmas market. www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/nuremberg_christmas_market.php

I've been to Cologne and that was lovely but extremely crowded. It did have several different markets and ice skating though.

turkeyboots Sun 25-Aug-13 18:46:32

Munich's is lovely, but people from Munich make trips to the Nurnberg market so must be really special.

Best for tree decorations, chocolate covered fruit and gluwine!

5Foot5 Thu 29-Aug-13 22:11:59

The best I went to is Rothenburg ob der Tauber but far away from any airport so you would need a car.

We started our holiday in Rothenburg ob der Tauber last month!
Lovely town, just like something out of a Grimm's Fairy Tale. Of course we didn't see a Christmas market in July but we did go in to the most amazing Christmas shop I have ever seen - Kathe Wolfhart's Weinachtsdorf, next door to the Christmas museum.

We managed without a car but we did have quite a long train journey.

Flew to Frankfurt then train to Wurzburg, change for Steinach then change again for Rothenburg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now