Fun things to put in children's rucksacks for a flight

(11 Posts)
Feathered Tue 30-Jul-13 13:36:08

I am taking three children (5 year old twins and a seven year old) on a shortish flight in a couple of weeks (on my own . . . eek). I was planning on putting a few things in each child's rucksack to keep them occupied. Any thoughts??? Anything that's worked for you?

grabaspoon Tue 30-Jul-13 13:38:23

My dc 5.6 recently went on a 10 hour flight. I wrapped 3 small gifts - toy aeroplane a reusable sticker book and a craft activity. his mum also packed some books activity book and a few favourite toys she also bought proper headphones so he could listen to the film properly

mine had a nintendo, a tablet and a book plus various snacks

Seeline Tue 30-Jul-13 13:42:44

stickers
colouring/activity book
book (either for them to read or have read to them)
nintendo DS
definitely some snacks
If they are sitting near each other, card games are good - Top Trumps, Uno etc

NotAnotherPackedLunch Tue 30-Jul-13 13:42:50

Benderoos. They keep their fingers busy and aren't too messy.

Manchesterhistorygirl Tue 30-Jul-13 13:45:53

Recently took two boys on a 7 hour flight, they only Used the iPad and iPod and that's it. They didn't even look at the toys and drawing paces or books we'd packed. wink

oohaveabanana Tue 30-Jul-13 13:47:30

Wrap everything up - cheap, brown paper is fine -slows them down & makes everything more exciting. Ration the presents (so 1 when the get on plane, 1 after seat belt lights go out etc)
New book, old favourite book, sticker/colouring book, cheap stuff from Hawkins bazaar/tickseed; snacks & drinks ... You'll be fine. Check if the flight has a film/radio, & whether snacks are served too.

It (phone/tablet/ds) is your friend - esp for the 7yo.

VenusSurprising Tue 30-Jul-13 13:52:12

Cocaine?
Can be quite a lot of fun at customs, I hear.

we gave up on colouring pencils/pens as they always managed to drop them between and under the seats and then we had to do a contortionist act to get them back again. I wouldnt wrap anything as it just makes a mess and gives you extra crap to carry aftyerwards. Our last flights didnt have a film showing so they mainly used their tablet/DS instead

noramum Tue 30-Jul-13 16:20:54

I don't do sticker books, not enough space in a plane. DD likes to spread out doing them. I have cheap pens so if they are lost that's not a problem.

I normally buy a magazine at the airport and she has books, headphones and ipad for 1-2 30 minute episodes of a TV series. But I also believe she can be bored once in a while.

jmbabyequipmenthire1 Mon 05-Aug-13 17:40:10

We are flying next week with two boys aged 7 and 9. They usually take their ipods, a small quizzes book, pens, top trump cards and travel monopoly/scrabble. Hope you have a nice time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now