Has anyone been to Moon Palace, Cancun?

(11 Posts)
Sleepgrumpydopey Mon 19-Aug-13 11:15:09

*rain

Sleepgrumpydopey Mon 19-Aug-13 11:14:56

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. We are going next week - but it's forecast aim most of the weeksad

ChocChaffinch Mon 29-Jul-13 19:05:08

we just wished we'd been to Jim Carrey's nightclub in Cancun, aside from that agree Moon is the best. there are secret stables in the grounds, with pairs of beautiful horses that pull wedding carriages they do a fair few weddings there, so nice to have an American wedding in the background, all of the men in tuxedoes, like a movie!

ChocChaffinch Mon 29-Jul-13 19:02:18

sunrise side a LOT livelier - if I remember rightly
massive rooms for huge party groups, we called our side the English side for the quiet people smile
take some diaorrhoea remedies wink
in the mall in cancun there is one particularly fab massive souvenir shop - absolutely wonderful to browse alligator cowboy boots; ponchos; the works.

we did 2 trips - chichen itza the mayan pyramids, was breathtaking. Its a long coachride out there (3hrs) with a lunchstop at a sinkhole with huge catfish swimming in it right in the jungle, and local people put on a Mexican dance show, lovely to see that side of mexico out of the big resort, you see the jungle dwelling people, they come out onto the road to watch the coach pass...
the pyramids are hot, but fab facilities and such an opportunity to see spectacular remains, you can climb up the main pyramid - there are no handrails no health and safety and its quite crumbly and v v high but incredible jungle views - you can see flocks of vultures in the distance!

we also did the trip to Isle Morte (muerte?) on boat, snorkled in the gulf, superb, v professional but they do encourage you to scuba even though we'd NEVER done it they very blasé say it's easy, just wave them away LOL then you go to the jungle beach island and you can look for a jaguar, we saw a massive iguana, and doze in beach hammocks grin

after that you go to a town where all of the buildings painted a different rainbow colour and every flavour tequila etc. fab markets. also get to see the biggest flag in the world!!

<crying with jealousy>

ChocChaffinch Mon 29-Jul-13 18:54:43

we liked the little shopping mall in cancun, people fabulously friendly, we were in cocodrillo 'crocodile' block, beachfront. Pelicans! wild life is amazing. avoid open air buffets as they fight to keep the birds off!! crazy insects too..
loads of Americans there... loved playing pool volleyball every morning.. take a ride on a golf cart around the place at night...hold tight!
Mexican customs terrifying LOL Zapata moustaches everywhere,, and machine guns...ignore smile

ChocChaffinch Mon 29-Jul-13 18:50:24

We honeymooned. fab. jealous!! great pool and the breakfast is the stuff dream are made of!!

No queues at all for food.

My advice, book the Italian at the golf club for 2 nights, go to the Oriental resturant in the Sunrise side a few times too. They are both outstanding.

The other good resturants are the seafood one at The Grand, and there is one in the Nizuc which I think may be brazillian(!), but its a meat fest and gorgeous.

Forget room service, its beyond shit which is the only only only bit that lets it down. However, I called a few times just to order bottles of wine to the room!

Do the dolphin swim, but upgrade to the Royal Swim, its worth the extra £.

And, without a doubt, the best advice is GO TO XEL-HA! Its the most incredible day out you will ever have. Book it in the lobby, and pay. Dont get sucked in to a timeshare talk.

Dont bother going to the Beach palace sister hotel. Cancun is vile, cramped, dirty, full of pissed up people, yuck. We wouldnt wait to get back to the Moon.

Take plenty of sun cream, its $22 a bottle there. Take either american dollars or Mexican Pasos, they are both accepted everywhere.

Im so bloody jealous, argh!

Sleepgrumpydopey Mon 29-Jul-13 17:18:02

Thanks so much! It's cost us £6000 for a family of 4 with direct flights (booked through BA).
Do you have to queue for ages for dinner? And what's the room service like too?

Ooohh I'm getting exciting now, I've been in panic mode for the last few days.

VegasIsBest Mon 29-Jul-13 10:38:26

Hi. I went there with my family in August 2011. It was so fab that we are going back again in October for two weeks.

The hotel is great. There are a couple of downsides but provided you know about these its fine. It is quite far out of Cancun (a plus for us as we wanted peace and quiet). And the sea is not swimable. However there are loads of pools which are lovely. And you can get a free bus to Beach Palace for the afternoon which has a beautiful beach. Your all inclusive privileges apply there too.

The resort credits work well as long as you read up on them in advance. We got a set of family photos which were great. And I had several trips to the spa- heaven :-)

Ignore, ignore, ignore. Ive just got back from a fortnight there.

Ive stayed in some of the best hotels in the world (not a boast, just for context), and the Moon Palace was incredible. Food was better than perfect, rooms were immaculate, it was amazing.

It cost us over 8k for a family of four, and even so, we are rebooking for next year even though we cant afford it

Sleepgrumpydopey Mon 29-Jul-13 10:32:05

Hi, we have booked for me DH DS (10) and DS (8) in August. However I keep seeing some really bad reviews now on trip advisor. Just wondering if anyone can give their honest experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now