Greece in October

(17 Posts)
lj123 Tue 16-Jul-13 19:01:09

Hi guys I'm planning on a 10day holiday to Greece in October and was wondering if anyone had a weather experience or any advice at all. smile Thanks

specialsubject Tue 16-Jul-13 19:57:04

Crete, or take your chances. Most places still perfectly pleasant on sunny days, but by October there are storms quite often. This can also cancel ferries.

also lots of stuff will be closed.

mummymeister Tue 16-Jul-13 22:55:09

Agree with special. don't do it if you like guaranteed sun. the earlier you go in oct the more chance you have of things being open. we travelled around Greece and islands in October and had some iffy days plus by the end of our hols a lot of things were shut.

lj123 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:34:07

Thanks guys, Egypt it is wink

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 18-Jul-13 11:11:38

Early Octonber should be ok but anything after the middle could be a bit hit and miss with the weather.

juneau Thu 18-Jul-13 12:10:50

This website Weather 2 Travel is brilliant. It gives you average monthly temps/rainfall/hrs of sunshine for just anywhere in the world. Its very helpful for planning holidays. Greece in Oct should be lovely btw.

ixos Thu 18-Jul-13 21:49:02

We went to Greek Islands in early October, was lovely weather but everything was shut or closing....

Pantah630 Thu 18-Jul-13 21:52:36

Cyprus in October is lovely.

lj123 Thu 18-Jul-13 22:42:10

Now I'm really stuck, thinking maybe gran canaria now, god I can't make my mind up! I want the fantastic tan me weather but not the tan me price lol

mummymeister Thu 18-Jul-13 23:13:14

lj123 so does everyone else and if it existed don't you think we would all be doing it grin Gran canaria at the same time of year will be similar weather. further up the thread someone suggested looking at a weather site. we use accuweather to work out whether it is too cold/too warm for us before we book

Canaries would be a much better bet weather-wise in October unless you were heading for Crete.

We went to tunisia in October once and it was warm during the day, but evening drop in temp came on early.

lj123 Fri 19-Jul-13 10:18:55

So now I'm thinking gran canaria October it will be between the 1st - 15th prices are better than Egypt an weather appears to be roughly the same. smile

burberryqueen Fri 19-Jul-13 10:20:35

Crete Rhodes or Cyprus should all be lovely in October

Crete can be nice into November but can get chilly at night in the mountains.

TSSDNCOP Wed 31-Jul-13 16:10:49

I was on the beach in Cyprus last November! About 25, cossies on. Pools cold, but sea warm!

alimac87 Thu 01-Aug-13 10:40:00

If you're thinking of Crete, try heading somewhere like Chania in the west (direct flights from the UK) - pretty town with a beautiful harbour which is big enough to keep things open in early autumn for its own population. There are plenty of sandy beaches nearby and lots of places to visit. But think about what you'll do if it rains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now