help! how to take passport photo of d.s?

(29 Posts)
urmydarlings Fri 14-Jun-13 13:14:01

please help , going on holiday soon and am trying to get passports in order but my one year old d.s just wont sit for the passport photo. spent a good £15 trying in asda (got lots of weird looks). tips advice? ???

NarkyNamechanger Fri 14-Jun-13 13:14:50

Take him to snappy snaps! £7 and they'll sort it smile

KelleStar Fri 14-Jun-13 13:16:06

Our local photo shop takes actual pictures, they keep going until they get an acceptable one. They then print and £4 later a happy mummy.

urmydarlings Fri 14-Jun-13 13:23:13

thank you both! where is snappy snaps? any here in Cardiff?

NarkyNamechanger Fri 14-Jun-13 13:26:05

14 wellfield road according to google.

urmydarlings Fri 14-Jun-13 13:26:57

feel soo stupid should have Googled itblush blush .

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Fri 14-Jun-13 13:28:18

How old? When DS was a few months old the photo place laid him on a sheet and did it from above

GladbagsGold Fri 14-Jun-13 13:29:08

I was recommended this site by a MNer and used it and its brilliant:

www.picturelizard.co.uk/Passport_Photo_Prints.php?cPath=95_151

urmydarlings Fri 14-Jun-13 13:29:51

hes 1! will try at a local chemist that I just found out about. wish us luckwink . Stressing!!

urmydarlings Fri 14-Jun-13 13:30:59

thanks gladbags and everyone else too. im new here but sooo glad I joined wish id joined when he was younger!

geewaf Sat 15-Jun-13 09:22:40

After 2 failed attempts at the local timpsons (mega tears and general terrified face from DD!) I found out you can take your own pic and then upload to Photobox to print.
Basically sat DD in front of a white door (or lying on a white sheet would also work) and took a face shot. Very straightforward and as the rules are more relaxed for kids in terms of looking in the camera etc found that much easier.

JonesH Mon 17-Jun-13 15:28:01

Did not know you could upload your own photo..surely that would save a lot of money for all as many passport photo machines are around £5-7 now!!

urmydarlings Mon 17-Jun-13 16:17:58

tthe chemist was a disaster too !! And most of the online ones also want a perfect face shot ! my ds is never gonna pose for me ! what am I gonna do ???

keely79 Mon 17-Jun-13 16:20:05

My local pharmacy are pretty good - if you go to a noticeably "child friendly" pharmacy that take pictures using a digital camera, they should be willing to take as many as needed in order to get a picture.

Alternatively (though more expensively) you could go to a local photographer.

urmydarlings Mon 17-Jun-13 16:21:29

ok will strive on! Whos clever idea was it to go on holiday ????hmm

waikikamookau Mon 17-Jun-13 16:22:59

we went to an actual photographer, no probs. not the booth.

Ok, I have experience of this!
Lie the baby on a white sheet and take photo. Take the memory card to Asda and ask them at the photo desk to use the photo to print a set of passport pics. They will crop it and get it to size and print 6 pp photos all for 36p!

Lots of my friends have now done this on my recommendation , between us we are saving millions in failed booth attempts!

urmydarlings Mon 17-Jun-13 19:17:14

thank u Jennifer turkington. I will do as you say but not this week now he's grumpy enough as it is with a cold . sad will post how we get on.wink wink

yomellamoHelly Mon 17-Jun-13 19:41:39

Snappy snaps. (Photo booth ones were rejected.)

I took one of my own against a plain background and uploaded it to https://www.paspic.com/ and they sent back passport compliant photos in a couple of days.

p.s. the guidelines are less strict for babies

HotCrossPun Mon 17-Jun-13 21:04:52

The most common type of photo to be rejected at the passport office is ones taken by photographers/people at home. The guidelines for the colour of the background (cream or light grey) sizes and resolution are quite strict.

I'd persevere with the photobooth. He doesn't need to be looking at the camera, it doesn't matter if his eyes or closed or if he is smiling.

Just keep your own body out of it and they will be fine smile

jamtoast12 Tue 18-Jun-13 23:20:29

Go to max speilmann, we always go there as its about £7 for tons photos and they guarantee they'll be accepted or redo for free. They did dd at 6 wk no problem. I'd never do it myself!

girlywhirly Wed 19-Jun-13 11:45:33

Definitely get them done professionally by people who are trained to get it right, at the Post Office 'Check and Send', they measure the photos as well; if the head isn't the right size they are likely to reject it.

the paspic website sends back passport compliant photos with the correct colour background/head in the correct place - I used it for ds with no issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now