portable booster seat for taxi journey

(12 Posts)
EllaRees Thu 16-May-13 14:15:02

Has anyone found a solution for travelling with a toddler in a taxi when you can't take a car seat? I'm taking my 2yr10mth old to a wedding in the middle of nowhere and will have to take a taxi from the venue back to the city (York) which is about 15miles along A-roads. I know legally he can travel unrestrained in a taxi, but this seems so dangerous. I can't take our huge car seat with me and the smaller portable seats are all for older children as far as I can see. Has anyone come up with a way around this? Help!

Cloverer Thu 16-May-13 14:16:02

The only option really is the trunki boostapak, though they are supposed to be 15kg. I use that over nothing though.

Cloverer Thu 16-May-13 14:17:04

Though have you checked if the taxi company can provide a seat?

givemeaclue Thu 16-May-13 14:24:33

I have just bought a bubble bum for exactly these type of occasions. About to take it on holiday. I saw it in easy jet in flight mag, thought would be good for hols

justabigdisco Thu 16-May-13 14:34:53

I've just bought a mothercare Malmo seat - suitable from 9 months and converts to booster seat. Very lightweight (although not small) and only 40 quid at the moment.

givemeaclue Thu 16-May-13 14:43:31

Bubble bum is inflatable so small and light.

LIZS Thu 16-May-13 16:11:48

agree with bubblebum although cover split on ours with just a few days' use - yoru dc may well be too light though..

specialsubject Thu 16-May-13 16:44:06

tricky one. The trunki would be ideal but is only certified once they are over 15kg, and I believe they have to be past their 3rd birthday.

ask the taxi company, they must come across this a lot.

there are rental companies but unless you happen to be near one in York, it will cost a bomb.

EllaRees Fri 17-May-13 09:37:11

Thak you all so much for replying. The taxi driver has a little booster seat for older children but (understandably) not the models for younger children. As I'll be travelling to the wedding by bus I think the best bet will be the Trunki as it has the seat belt clip as well. It's not perfect as he is a bit under the weight and age but it's got to be better than sitting on my lap, as you say Cloverer.

chicaguapa Sun 19-May-13 08:26:07

The bubblebum now has a seat belt clip. This is what we use for DS (7) but if he'd been smaller, we'd have got the Trunki one. We just felt he was a bit old to be carrying his seat on his back.

But they both do the same thing by making sure the seat belt is in the right place.

But tbh I'm a bit anal about car seats and in your situation I'd take our own seat (however huge )and put it somewhere safe at the wedding and then fit it in the taxi for the journey home. For my own peace of mind.

Grumpla Sun 19-May-13 09:06:26

I'm also paranoid about car seats. I find a blue IKEA bag very useful for transporting them! I certainly wouldn't risk it with nothing.

rainbowmagic1974 Mon 20-May-13 22:27:06

We have the Trunki seat and I'm really pleased with it. Great for storing stuff in too!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now