travelling with children who don't share your surname

(34 Posts)
helenperry Fri 10-May-13 12:27:27

I am frequently stopped at borders and asked to prove that my children are mine as, following my divorce, they don't share my surname. I think this is unfair and its also quite unsetting when it happens.
I wondered what other people thought about this as I'm keen to lobby parliament to change passports
Thanks for any stories people wish to share!

lottysmum Fri 17-May-13 21:02:36

I travel 6/7 times a year and I cant remember a time when I wasn't asked...so I do know how you feel....my daughter is now 11 so its allot easier now...because they normally ask her who I am...and she's at an age where she is old enough to speak up...although when they asked her who I was the first time she said my name...not that I was her mum... what I find amusing is that normally they ask the question when we are coming back into the country...not when we are leaving...

Lucyhanco Sat 01-Jun-13 23:27:50

Yes I've been stopped twice at Gatwick in the past year, b****y ridiculous! They have told me that I should travel with her birth certificate as surnames are different. My other DS is 15 and we travelled extensively and have never been asked.

I have been asked more than once at UK Border at LHR if DS is actually ours. DH and I travel together with him. Never had any such questions asked on visiting the US though.

minipie Tue 04-Jun-13 20:19:24

Is there actually a rule that says you need proof?

if so, I think this is ridiculous. many mothers don't have the same surname as their children. and on the flip side, a child could be kidnapped by someone with the same surname - paternal relatives for example taking a child to their country of origin without the mother's permission.

either everyone should have to prove parental permission to take a child abroad, or no one should. basing it on surnames is just daft.

but is there a rule?

Gooseysgirl Tue 04-Jun-13 21:01:09

I've been stopped twice in the last year with DD (still a baby). The first time was at Stansted where they took her passport from me and asked what her date of birth was, I was so taken aback (and sleep deprived) that I had to concentrate hard to remember the date!!!! The second time was in Dublin airport but DH was with me so it was fine... both times I was advised to carry a copy of her BC with me in future.

Vagndidit Wed 05-Jun-13 11:21:54

I find it ridiculous as well as many kidnappings involve children being taken away by a parent/relative who shares a last name.

Ds and I were pulled aside at Schiphol last week for the same issue. He has his dad's last name; I kept my own after marriage. We got a very stern "How do I know he's your son?" line of inquiry from the agent. Luckily he took my suggestion of "You could ask him..." Thank God DS decided to be truthful at that moment and not launch into a tangent about being a dinosaur/Darth Vader/an Angry Bird, etc

TheWave Wed 05-Jun-13 11:27:35

You see that lots have been asked on this thread and answered and been let through (as I have been). Has anyone no-one has actually not had bc etc and been refused entry?

TheWave Wed 05-Jun-13 11:28:47

*has anyone no-one has

drinkyourmilk Wed 05-Jun-13 22:52:46

I can't see anyone would be stopped.
I'm a nanny and have travelled all over the world with my charges alone. Never been questioned, although I always have their birth certificate and a signed letter from both parents giving permission to fly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now