JFK changing planes

(5 Posts)
clam Tue 30-Apr-13 17:31:59

OK, thanks all. I think I will, and the added plus is that that option is a couple of hundred quid cheaper. Better check it's still available!

Vagndidit Tue 30-Apr-13 12:35:01

Jfk is massive and can take ages to navigate even on a good day. I've stood in passport control line for almost an hour on a few occasions ( and that's with a US passport!) so I'd def go with the 4 hour option.

Clam,

It could easily take you at least 90 minutes standing in line waiting to be processed at immigration!. There are a lot of delays at present at some US airports with regards to immigration re processing pax as they arrive due to overall reduced staffing levels (due to budget cuts). Miami like JFK is similarly affected.

Also if you need to change terminals at JFK it may well be that you will end up landside and thus will need to go through security again.

I would go for the 4 hour stopover instead; 90 minutes is far too tight a timescale in any event and you should have never been offered that choice. Also you need to bear in mind that the clock starts ticking as soon as the plane lands from the UK.

SingingSands Tue 30-Apr-13 00:03:22

Yes, it took us nearly 90mins to get through immigration alone last time we landed at JFK. Also, our flight out demanded a 4 hour check-in. That was hideous, we were bored out of our minds.

clam Mon 29-Apr-13 23:56:12

Is 90 mins too tight to land (on time???) go through immigration, change terminal and board other plane? I'm thinking it is, but the alternative is to allow 4 hours, but have to get to La Guardia instead. Also, am not too mobile at the moment (recovering from broken leg, although 4 months on) so rushing won't be an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now