How many bags is reasonable?

(21 Posts)
nellyjelly Tue 09-Apr-13 13:55:34

Great tips. Keep em coming seasoned travellers!

girlywhirly Tue 09-Apr-13 12:18:33

For the beach, look for microfibre towels - the sort you can get in walking/outdoor sports/camping shops. They fold really small and are light, also a small towel can be very absorbent and dries quickly. You could take one beach towel each and a microfibre one for patting yourself dry after a swim, and further microfibre ones for the bathroom. Keep an eye open for cheap but good quality ones in TKMaxx.

For budget airlines, let DC use their full hand luggage entitlement if they are old enough to have booked seats, you can pack a whole change of clothes in each as well as toys, books etc. Useful in case of spills or if travelling to a much hotter climate so that you can change, and frees up some space in your checked baggage.

nellyjelly Tue 09-Apr-13 10:17:40

We need to take towels. Beach towels and ones for the bathroom. They will take up lots of room. Plus nappies, though will buy some there too.

We are flying to Spain and have paid for 2 bags on the basis we won't be able to transport many more. Hoping we can squeeze stuff in and take a rucksack on the plane too. Just hoping that after the towels we can fit our clothes in!

Spockster Mon 08-Apr-13 22:49:33

2 backpacks it is then. I can't wait til the kids can carry their share.

tassisssss Mon 08-Apr-13 21:05:41

We are 5 and struggle to get it into THREE 20kg plus hand luggage but we don't pack at all light, I take far too many pairs of shoes, hairdryer etc and we have been known to take three scooters with us!

You should be fine with 2 @20kg, you can get a decent amount in your handluggage too.

noramum Mon 08-Apr-13 19:38:05

We are three and I always take three suitcases, one is normally under the 20kg max. Why not? Ok, we normally fly BA or Lufthansa but I just don't want to sacrifice.

Especially in warm weather I take a T-Shirt for each day plus a couple for the evenings. Twice the amount of underwear as I hated knickers soaked in sweat.

Shoes, at least 2 pairs in the suitcase but we walk a lot so I need proper walking boots.

When we are on holiday in my home country then I come back with bottles of wine and several items I don't get here and like them once in a while.

Waswondering Mon 08-Apr-13 14:49:15

We took two bags on holiday last year ... I think the total weight was 24 kg. had heaps with us, not all was worn.

Have a good holiday!

(Ps colleague did 3 weeks in China on hand luggage alone. I was very impressed!)

jamtoast12 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:45:13

Yes 40kg fine for family of four. It's actually hard to travel with more than that plus kids and hand luggage!

Suttonmum1 Sun 07-Apr-13 23:05:22

Yes, my husband's case was so heavy he could hardly get it up the boarding ladder on one ferry!

Fluffy1234 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:31:32

The ferries get pretty busy in Croatia so lugging large cases on and could be awkward. I go for three smaller carry on bags and I larger/heavy check in case.

SavoyCabbage Sun 07-Apr-13 22:22:12

40kg is loads. My mam came to stay with us for three months with 27kg, including hand luggage. She had books, a tin of shortbread and five pairs of shoes

specialsubject Sun 07-Apr-13 22:17:00

who carries the luggage?

you all pack what you can carry. (and then mix it up a bit in case one bag gets lost)

40kg for 2 weeks is far too much for four people.

janek Sun 07-Apr-13 21:56:00
Spockster Sun 07-Apr-13 21:39:26

Hadn't considered packing actual useful stuff in hand luggage, kids normally just take toys. Good idea, just one Nintendo DS each and they can pull along their own knickers! grin

Silke Sun 07-Apr-13 21:35:33

We went to Spain last year with Easy Jet - 2 adults, DS12 and DD15 and took 2 x 20kg cases, plus our hand baggage. This was a first for us as we normally drive to France but it was plenty - still came home with stuff we hadn't used. Usually have mixed weather on holiday and had packed too many clothes for cooler temps - it was very hot (hurrah) and we enjoyed it so much will be doing similar again this year. Bonnes vacances - don't know the Croatian expression!

Suttonmum1 Sun 07-Apr-13 21:32:43

Can't you pay for 1 or 2 large bags and take small cabin bags for free that aren't weight restricted and are easier for kids to manage. We did Croatia last year and kids had bags of their own.
My husband does take a lot mind you.

spottyparrot Sun 07-Apr-13 21:25:56

I'm with your dh. For a family of 4, we take 2 bags and each one weighs 8-10kg. That's for a week in the sun in Europe. I can't stand taking unnecessary stuff!

Spockster Sun 07-Apr-13 21:07:16

We pay per 20kg bag, it amounts to quite a lot. DH thinks 1 pair of shoes each ( plus those being worn) plus exact no.s of underwear and a few t shirts. I am resigning myself to no makeup and hair like straw. I daren't even mention straighteners :-(

Redbindy Sun 07-Apr-13 20:48:48

Croatia will be pretty warm, and it's quite relaxed. I don't think you will need a lot.

PollyEthelEileen Sun 07-Apr-13 20:44:52

Why don't you just go for you maximum allowance (or whatever the DDs can manage for themselves)?

Spockster Sun 07-Apr-13 20:42:08

I am so fed up of arguing with DH about how many bags we need for a 2 week holiday in the summer. We are planning weeks in Croatia in early summer. 2 adults, 2 girls aged 7 and 10. Island hopping, no posh clobber, no special sports stuff etc. We are Easyjetting so every bag costs, but I think 2 bags, total weight 40kg is unreasonable. Thoughts??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now