Recommendations of campsites and places to visit in Tuscany please

(14 Posts)
ihatethecold Sat 27-Apr-13 16:03:43

it depends on where your going. if tuscany then it will be warm, maybe take a hoodie/cardi for everyone

i got married in tuscany in early june and iirc the weather was quite hot.

mrsmandm Fri 26-Apr-13 19:08:56

Has anyone got advice on what to pack formate may/early June? Do te evenings get chilly? Sorry for jumping on thread!

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Mon 15-Apr-13 21:25:27

I've put it on the list of places to visit, it looks amazing. Thanks for posting it.

kateecass Mon 15-Apr-13 21:11:42

You have to go here, it only opened recently. I want to go!!!

curious-places.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/castello-di-sammezzano-reggello-italy.html?m=1

WallyBantersYoniBox Sat 13-Apr-13 14:51:51

Haha Foot that reminds me. The Dutch love camping, and on the campsites i've stayed in they love to spend their evenings checking out everyone's equipment, while having a stroll around.

So don't be surprised to find them checking out your stuff at quite close range! All quite friendly!

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Sat 13-Apr-13 06:13:06

Wow footphobic what a helpful post. Thank you. We leave in a week so this advice is timely.
flowers

footphobic Fri 12-Apr-13 22:58:12

Bit late to this but thought I'd add in case of any interest/help.

We used to do this all the time when our dcs were younger, we always did 3 weeks at the end of May/ beg June. They were wonderful holidays and the drive is fantastic. We still go and drive it, but can usually only manage two weeks in the school hols now so don't take the caravan on shorter trips that far down.

We stayed near the coast so choice of beaches, look for off the beaten track ones, e.g. Cala Violina, about a mile walk through cork forest to get there but worth it. Pisa to the north, Rome bit further to the south doable for a day trip and visit to the Colosseum, drive only if very brave otherwise train!

Just trying to remember names of places to visit so excuse any errors. Nice local towns, e.g., Massa Marittima, thermal springs at Saturnia. If you want some more days out, a longer windy drive to Volterra, Siena within easy reach, and San Gimignano, both worth a visit.

The nice thing about 3 weeks is that you can be very relaxed, have a day out, then a quiet day or two, just wander local towns browsing all the terracotta, food markets etc. Everywhere is child friendly.

From memory we have stayed at Valle Gaia, which is a lovely family oriented campsite, I think they have expanded/improved the pool since we last went, smaller and friendly but very good clean facilities.

We've also stayed at Camping Vallicella (their website seemed to be down when I just tried it). Very friendly, some bigger pitches than usual in Italy, lovely restaurant, very child friendly if they are still the same owners. Near a beautiful village, lovely area.

Neither of these is big though, and more on the low key side with entertainment, which suited us at the time.

The majority of other caravanners are Dutch and some German, UK caravans are usually a rarity, large 6 berths like ours even more so so we would always attract attention when pitching up. Plenty of Brits with Eurocamp, Canvas etc though. People are very friendly, we always found everyone comes and chats and helps when you manoeuvre on the pitch, as they can be tight, or the site team will pop you on with a tractor.

A fair amount of pitches available at that time of year though we found it was still best to book ahead and you can usually choose your pitch.

We found spring storms can blow in quickly and can be quite fierce, so be aware of that.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Sun 07-Apr-13 18:57:59

Thanks cathinireland we saw that campsite on the net. Great to hear first hand experience of what it's like. Did you see caravans there? Do you think we could just turn up ad hoc and see if there is space?

Great links lucidlady I'll check them out, thanks

lucidlady Sun 07-Apr-13 18:22:35

Le Piannace in Carducci is beautiful. Here is a euro camp link that tells you a bit more about the site. www.eurocamp.co.uk/sites/italy-tuscany/in015-le-pianacce.html

Castagneto Carducci itself is lovely: www.turismo.intoscana.it/intoscana2/export/TurismoRTen/sito-TurismoRTen/Contenuti/province/LI/castagnetocarducci/visualizza_asset.html_76529099.html

cathinireland Sun 07-Apr-13 18:06:54

My family and I stayed at Camping Norcenni Girasole Club, just south of Florence - it was great!! Really kid friendly and took some lovely tours (booked at campsite) to Lucca, and Pisa. They also had tours to Sienna, Florence, and others. We stayed using Canvas, but there were the usual groups there - canvas, eurocamp, keycamp, thomson, and others. Again, great site - check them out on-line.

TheAccidentalEgghibitionist Sun 07-Apr-13 14:31:45

Thanks Wally that's reassuring to know. Will put Lucca on the list of places to visit.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 07-Apr-13 13:02:35

PS all of Italy is very child friendly. It's part of the culture that children and family are placed in high priority.

I've stayed in some campsites in the lake regions and they provide a lt of entertainment and activities for kids.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 07-Apr-13 13:00:30

Lucca is a beautiful town that is worth a visit. Also you won't be too far from Pisa which is worth a half day trip.

It's a great time to visit as it won't be crazy hot.

I'm afraid I've only ever stayed in villas in the area so can't recommend campsites as such. Perhaps post on the camping thread?

TheAccidentalEgghibitionist Sat 06-Apr-13 19:38:10

We are driving to Tuscany with the caravan for three weeks later this month.
Apart from knowing we want to Florence we have no idea where to visit or where to stay. We have a DS (9) with ASD so will need to go to child friendly places.
Any ideas, recommendations, tips.
TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now