do we need travel insurance for Northern Ireland?

(6 Posts)
maxmissie Tue 16-Apr-13 22:33:32

Thanks for all the advice, forgot to say thanks before we went! didn't get insurance in the end and thankfully trip all went well!

CwtchesAndCuddles Sun 07-Apr-13 14:37:59

For the sake of a few pounds I would take out insurance. It would give you cover if you had to extend your stay due to one of the party being an inpatient or transfer home if needed - broken limbs etc. Treatment itself would be free but accidents do happen and you would be a long way from home.

chunops Sat 06-Apr-13 19:36:07

Don't forget you have your E111 form as we are in EU .

LIZS Fri 05-Apr-13 07:51:02

I don't think you would otherwise be covered for a private ambulance transfer back home, rearranged travel arrangements or extended hotel stay.

Mercedes Thu 04-Apr-13 20:42:05

Hi M You will not need travel insurance for Northern Ireland if you are travelling through the uk. If you were ill in Scotland or Wales and needed to return to England it will be the same for N.I.

However, if you travel to NI via the South - this is not covered by the NHS as it's not part of the UK and you may choose to get some sort of travel insurance for the limited time you are not in NI.

maxmissie Wed 03-Apr-13 23:04:55

Probably a silly question but going to Northern Ireland on holiday next week and just wondering if we need to get travel insurance? I know we can get it to cover trips in the UK and am not too worried about having cover for cancellations, lost luggage etc but am more wondering about if we needed medical treatment? Am assuming we would get free treatment on NHS but what about if needed to be transferred back by ambulance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now