Was Dubai (Jumeirah Beach Hotel) Your Best Ever Family Holiday?

(56 Posts)
ChickenSpring Mon 25-Mar-13 20:59:57

Looking to book a holiday at Jumeirah Beach hotel for a special birthday. Was really excited, until the prices started going up and up... So frustrated that we could have got the same holiday for £3-400 less just a couple of weeks ago. Now faced with either researching other holidays, or just booking at the higher price. Very keen to hear from anyone who has been with young children (ours are 5 and 2). We would be booking the dine around half board package which I understand is valid at all the Jumeirah hotels. Would we really enjoy fine dining with young children though? Oh and very nervous about drink costs too.

Roseformeplease Mon 25-Mar-13 22:06:17

Dubai is absolutely horrible unless you want to be trapped in a hotel. One big motorway, loads of high rises and hotter than hell. The hotel is ritzy but full of Brits. Try the Med as they are much kinder to children in Spain or Greece. In Dubai they are all stuck in a hotel room with the nanny.

ChickenSpring Mon 25-Mar-13 22:35:17

Thanks Rose. I've read lots of reviews and some do liken it to a slightly more up-market Butlins! It is certainly not somewhere we would normally go, but we hoped it would offer us a bit of luxury, whilst still being family friendly. We wouldn't be using the kids club or babysitting - the age they are they don't need a lot of entertaining other than other kids to run around with and it sounds like there are plenty at this hotel! Has anyone else stayed there and could help? We need to decide tomorrow morning before the prices go up even more. Spent all of this evening trying to find alternatives, and it seems most 'luxury family' holidays are in this price bracket.

WaynettaSlobsLover Mon 25-Mar-13 22:36:46

Agree dubai is dreadful. Better looking at the med or North Africa. Majorca is stunningly beautiful friendly locals etc.

ChickenSpring Mon 25-Mar-13 22:44:47

Hmm, Majorca. I will check that out as the shorter flight is very appealing. Very confused about Dubai. We have friends with same age kids who have been to Dubai and loved it. Not this hotel though hence the post. Maybe it is a love it or hate it type of place?

Roseformeplease Tue 26-Mar-13 08:06:11

You can get equal, much cheaper luxury elsewhere and not be in a large car park.

Bakingnovice Tue 26-Mar-13 08:15:25

Dubai is great for luxury but v expensive for eating drinking. And I agree that it is hotel based. We stayed at the westin Dubai a few years ago and have also been to the royal meridian and enjoyed both. We decided againSt JB on the basis that we thought it might be a bit of an upmarket Butlins. We haven't been for a few years now as its quite limiting once you are there and getting around is horrible. You can't walk anywhere and the only places we went to outside the hotel were huge shopping malls. It's good holiday if all you want is luxury and a break.

Lindamaryd Tue 26-Mar-13 17:10:43

I couldn't disagree more with the posters who hate Dubai! I am going there for about the 7th or 8th time this year and can hardly wait. We have tried a couple of other hotels, but have always ended up back at the JBH. My boys were 3&4 when we first went and are now 9&10. It is a false environment, made for wealthy tourists, but I feel you get what you pay for. The JBH in particular is great for families. The staff, who are mainly from places like India and the Far East, are without exception lovely. One of the reasons we keep going back is that they always make the whole family welcome, not just the grown ups! Other things we love about Dubai & the JBH...reliable weather, fantastic water park on your door step, excellent food choices for children, (not just nuggets etc on the kids menu, but sea bass, steak, chicken, proper food!), great hygiene standards, and a very high regard for safety. I have never seen anything like the life guards monitoring the Jumeirah pools. We travel a great deal and would highly recommend Dubai. If your budget stretches to the Premium Leisure Club do go for it, it covers some of the alcohol charges (which are eye-watering) and provides access to the very pleasant executive pool. There is so much more I could tell you, so please feel free to post any specific questions I might be able to help with. Try Best at Travel for a quote, they've been cheapest for me on the last couple of times, Value added travel and Destinology are usually good too.

NinaNannar Tue 26-Mar-13 17:11:14

arent there huge human rights issues in Dubai?

NinaNannar Tue 26-Mar-13 17:11:41

you need to disable your cookies OP - dont they add to the prices every time you look/?

MOSagain Tue 26-Mar-13 18:29:50

Dubai is lovely. You don't have to spend all your time in the malls, there are other places to go. I've stayed at the JBH a number of times and think the kids club there is one of the best. Have stayed at Atlantis twice and their kids club isn't nearly as good. The kids will love the wild wadi water park next door.

Drink can be expensive (you won't get it in a lot of restaurants that are not in hotels). Just be careful when you go, it can get VERY hot in the summer and don't go during ramadam.

thekingfisher Tue 26-Mar-13 18:32:17

look at sani beach in greece for luxury family, or the elounda group of hotels still hot but far more family friendly shorter flight etc etc

Look at BA holidays they had the cheapest holiday to the Sani as they are one for the few carriers who fly there so discount the flight in comparison to travel agents costs

ChickenSpring Thu 28-Mar-13 16:50:21

Just caught up with this thread. Thank you so much to everyone who has posted. We have booked the holiday twice in the last couple of days and both times it has fallen through due to rooms not being available. Thankfully we haven't lost any money. We decided on the Dar Al Masyaf in the end as we get some free drinks but are now having to reconsider the JBH. Back to my original concerns about drinks cost, and also read some reviews saying the hotel and grounds are starting to show their age?

IntheFrame Thu 28-Mar-13 22:38:02

Travelzoo had the hotel in July and August last year for £570 for 4 nights plus flights. Don't now how much it is that you are considering paying but to just to point out that availability in low season is possible.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 28-Mar-13 23:00:11

Have you considered the Shangri-la in Oman as an alternative?

ChickenSpring Fri 29-Mar-13 23:35:01

InTheFrame, that sounds like a really good offer. The best deal I've got for the hotel so far is £300 per night, although that does include half board for 4 of us in a refurbished room.

Lone, I've had a look at Shangri-la and it looks good! Price is comparable, in fact I think it could be cheaper if my experience of prices you get from ringing around versus accepting online is anything to go by. The longer flight and stop at Dubai is a bit off putting though. Also, I think this year my heart is set on Dubai, but this could definitely be an option in the future so thanks for suggesting it!

sphynx Mon 01-Apr-13 15:20:39

We have stayed at Dar Al Masyaf every year for the last 5 years. My children age 12 and 7 have loved it every time. If it is a relaxing holiday you want with good food, lots of restaurants, friendly and helpful staff, large rooms you will love it. The villas are very private and the Butler service is excellent. You really do get what you pay for. Each group of villas has its own private pool with a lifeguard. The Sinbads kids club is very good. The breakfast served at the Khymat is amazing, with endless choice. The first time we visited Dubai my children were also age 2 and 5 and they loved to spend time on the beach.

Frogman Mon 01-Apr-13 15:30:39

You are thinking of going somewhere because you get free drinks confused confused
I lived in Dubai - it's Blackpool on steroids and the JBH ain't classy by any means.
Europe wins, hands down, anytime.

middleagedspread Mon 01-Apr-13 15:35:25

When are you thinking of going?
I can highly recommend Mauritius as a luxury family holiday. Many of the hotels are really special; fantastic service, great beaches & lovely people. In the UK summer there are some great deals.
Only downside is the 12 hour flight.

Wallison Mon 01-Apr-13 15:39:49

Dubai is full of chavs who couldn't cut the mustard in the UK and also built on slave labour overseen by one of the most repressive regimes in the world. Why on earth would you want to go there?

ChickenSpring Mon 01-Apr-13 23:07:52

Sphynx, those are exactly the reasons we want to go to Dubai/Dar Al Masyaf! With two young children all we really need is a pool, a beach and other kids for them to play with. We are the ones that want the luxury side as we enjoy eating out, appreciate nice accommodation, modern facilities etc.

I do get confused by the differing opinions of Dubai though - Chav/Upmarket Butlins versus luxury 5 star?

Free drinks would be a bonus at Dar Al Masyaf as it could save us £30+ a day versus JBH.

We want to go in June. Have concerns about the weather but it is out of our budget at other times of the year.

givemeaclue Tue 02-Apr-13 07:22:22

Won't it be too hot for little ones in June? You'll find the beach too hot?

givemeaclue Tue 02-Apr-13 07:23:01

We are going to Mauritius in a few weeks with our children looks ideal.

givemeaclue Tue 02-Apr-13 07:24:32

I think Dubai must be a bit like las Vegas, some love it, its bling its chav its tasteless its ott. Others love it for same reason!

givemeaclue Tue 02-Apr-13 07:26:32

Others hate it, sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now