Barcelona - first time visit

(12 Posts)
KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 23-Mar-13 14:49:09

Avoid the tiny side streets off Las Ramblas as well. Can be dodgy.

smilesandsun Sat 23-Mar-13 13:28:06

thanks smile Lots of useful advice. Looking forward to a break from this weather!

notcitrus Sat 23-Mar-13 09:26:56

Go on the tour of Sagrada Familia - it's well worth it. The food market on the Ramblas is great for.stocking up for picnics. Parc Guell is great but start at the top end as it's up steep hills from any transport (get there and then enjoy said picnic).

Changing lines on the Metro can be a 15 min walk!

Picasso museum quite good but the famous later stuff is all elsewhere. Chocolate museum worth going to simply to admire the carvings of chocolate.

Ask in your hotel for recommended restaurants and places for pinxos - mini tapas on toothpicks.

Oh I could spend the whole day in the market, amazing choice.

ooh bcn is my most favouritest city grin
metro is very good but if you are pushed for time, the tourist bus is an excellent way to get around and see everything!
parc guell, sagrada familia, las ramblas etc.. all lovely to visit as is parc de la cituidella (sp?) and Picasso museum.
avoid eating on las ramblas - mostly awful! but there is an amazing indoor food market there if you want a picnic lunch

MavisGrind Sat 23-Mar-13 08:41:34

Watching with interest as I'm off to Barcelona for the first time later this year! <Sorry, nothing helpful to add at all!>

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 23-Mar-13 08:36:48

Barrí Gótic , old quarter is beautiful and has lots to see. Can't go without seeing the Sagrada Familia and Casa Battló.
There is also a little fair on the top of Mount Tibidabo , you can get the Funicular tram train up there which is fun depending on how old the family is.
Absolutely have to sample the waffles (gofres) and ice cream!

hermioneweasley Sat 23-Mar-13 08:32:33

There are an awful lot of pick pockets in Barcelona, so split cash and cards between you, have the lost and stolen phone numbers for any cards you take and only take what you need each day.

My must sees are Parc Guell and the Gaudi houses. Just the art generally. Love Barcelona, can't wait until June for my next visit smile

smilesandsun Sat 23-Mar-13 08:23:23

Hi Trillis, thanks for the travel hint I hadn't even thought of that

Trills Fri 22-Mar-13 13:34:50

My top hint is not about what to see or where to eat but how to get around the metro is really good and quite cheap - you can get 10 journey cards or cards for a certain number of days.

There's a map here

smilesandsun Fri 22-Mar-13 12:52:46

Hi,

We are going for our first every trip to Barcelona. What are your 'must see' places and where is good for family dining?

Any hints most welcome!

Thx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now