Car sickness = ferry sickness?

(14 Posts)
mummymeister Mon 11-Mar-13 20:48:34

OP let me be blunt - just dont do it. The crossing to Santander is notorious. my DS lived there for 3 years and i never had a crossing where i wasnt sick and i have brilliant sea legs. DS gets very mildly car sick occasionally (mostly when he is tired) but was horrendous on the ferry. go by train or fly but avoid the santander ferry.

whateveritakes Mon 11-Mar-13 20:36:53

You can minimise it by staying up on deck the whole time. The horizon and fresh air really help even on the hydro foil.

In cars by DS used to get sick but he now sits in the front and is fine. I sit in the back and to be honest it does make me feel a bit queasyif we go a long way.

HuevosRancheros Mon 11-Mar-13 20:02:11

Thanks smile
Not what I wanted to hear, but needed to. And deep down suspected!

MerryMarigold Mon 11-Mar-13 16:52:43

I foolishly, trying to fit in with crow went on a waltzer at the fair once when I was 17 and I felt sick for about 4 days afterwards. It was hideous but good practice for morning sickness. Never again!

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 11-Mar-13 16:51:02

Same merrymarigold it's horrid how long it takes for me to get over motion sickness. I remember a really embarassing evening with an old friend. She drove us around I don't know for how long. But I was so sick all evening all I could do was lie down.

MerryMarigold Mon 11-Mar-13 16:49:00

I would say 99% likely. I get car sick and boats/ ferries are even worse for me. In fact, it would take me a couple of days to get over it, which ruins the first few days of the hols for me. I would fly if it is an option. Or perhaps a couple of you could fly and the rest go by car if it would be cheaper that way.

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 11-Mar-13 16:45:51

I have problems with both, and also with certain video games. I think it's the same middle ear balance problem.

My way of dealing with it is to take travel sickness pills. They really do work. Is your DD too young to consider this?

CPtart Mon 11-Mar-13 16:45:20

I would think so. I do, it's even worse on a boat tbh, also sick on a plane but a boat is worse.

Stock up on the travel sickness pills, try the travel bands, stay on deck as much as poss and distract.

eatyourveg Mon 11-Mar-13 16:44:09

I can't go to the shops as a passenger in certain cars either. Even driving is not full proof. Tried driving from Calais to Normandy and had to stop 3 or 4 times to chick up. Bicycle is the only mode of transport other than foot that my stomach seems happy to tolerate. Planes, boats busses cars and coaches all no nos for long journeys. Trains are ok unless its Eurostar and Gatwick Express

If I was to plan a trip to Bilbao I would get a plane to get it over with in the shortest time or a train with a stop overs but that would probably be really expensive.

PandaNot Mon 11-Mar-13 16:31:06

Well I get terrible car sickness, can't even nip to the shops if I'm a passenger. However on a boat I'm absolutely fine, unless its particularly bad and everyone is being sick. I would take tablets though, just to be sure. 24 hours is a long time.

peeriebear Mon 11-Mar-13 16:26:10

Yes, DD2 is a carsick child (DD1 fine!) and was very sick on a 12 hour ferry crossing.

SwedishEdith Mon 11-Mar-13 16:24:43

Yes, I would say a car-sick prone child will also be prone to seasickness and, I believe, that is a notoriously rough crossing (or can be). I've never used it as the thought of being ill on the way there plus knowing you had to go back on it would be difficult to present to a very car-sick prone child.

needtonamechangeforthis Mon 11-Mar-13 16:13:07

we put off using overnight crossings due to DCs occasionally getting car sick. THey were ok on long journeys, and used to these, but did get sick on twisty roads. When we had no option but take long crossing, we all took Sturgeron travel pills, all slept well and no travel sickness. . DH and I never get travel sick, but took the pills just in case as we had long journey ahead. Would definitely recommend taking something. An added bonus, the ferries for overnight crossings have lots of entertainment, so lots to take their minds off the possibility of being sick and tire them out. I think travel pills also help with sleep.

HuevosRancheros Mon 11-Mar-13 13:52:11

Looking ahead to our summer holidays, am contemplating northern Spain, so considering the (24 hour!) ferry crossing to Santander or Bilbao.

But, have never taken the kids on a ferry before, so 24 hours is a bit of a baptism of fire.

DD does get car sick, on long journeys or twisty roads.

In your experience, if you have a car-sick-prone child, do they get sea sick too?

I realise that there are no cast-iron guarantees, but it will help me choose ferry vs. plane!

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now