Are 10 year passports available for children?

(9 Posts)
shockers Thu 07-Mar-13 22:02:52

Hi, I've just booked a week in Turkey for me and my 13 year old son. He has a valid passport, but I noticed on the bumpf at the bottom of the confirmation that we have to pay £10 sterling for a visa as we enter Turkey and all travellers need a 10 year passport.

I thought only 5 year passports were available for children. I can't find anything on the passport service website about duration either.

TIA!

ripsishere Fri 08-Mar-13 01:21:05

AFAIK, children under 16 are given 5 year passports. My 12 YO is on her third.
It is a proper bloody ripoff, they cost the same as an adult 10 year one, but last half the time.

MOSagain Fri 08-Mar-13 08:14:44

No, only 5 years which as ripishere says, is a rip off!

bruffin Fri 08-Mar-13 08:33:00

A child's passport does not cost the same as an adults, its £46 compared to £72. Children change a lot in 5 years let alone 10 so the need to change for the appearance in the photo. My ds had one at 11 then 16 and he looks completely different.
Thousands of families go to turkey with children every year, so the 5 year passport cant be a problem. But without checking I think that you must have at least 6 months left on the passport.

rubyrubyruby Fri 08-Mar-13 08:41:43

Only 5 year. My DS is 16this year and his passport runs out in May 2014.
He needed his passport for 6th form ID yesterday - he is already virtually unrecognisable from the photo.

Still18atheart Fri 08-Mar-13 08:47:55

Hi

Unfortunatly, 5 year passposrts only for children

I went to Turkey when I was 12, back in 2004 and I was able to get in with just my 5 year passport + the £10 visa! Things might have changed, though check with,

ukinturkey.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/travel-advice/travel-advice-turkey

shockers Fri 08-Mar-13 16:51:01

Thanks all!

He has 3 years left on this one, so we should be ok. He already looks completely different on the photo though!

ripsishere Fri 08-Mar-13 23:36:39

For clarity, getting a PP when you live abroad costs the same for an adult and a child.

janek Fri 22-Mar-13 14:19:32

Nor relevant to the op, but relevant to passports - did you know you can renew a passport with up to nine months left on it, but have those 9 months added to the new one?

So, for example, my dds passport expires in march 2014. I will apply for a new one for her at a convenient juncture somewhere between june 2013 and march 2014, but wheneve i apply, the renewal date will be march 2019. Means you don't have to apply during the summer rush/waste money by getting a new one before the old one has expired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now