Ca Savio, Venice - anyone been?

(13 Posts)
racingheart Sun 10-Mar-13 11:03:10

Those tips are brilliant. Thanks Growlithe.

Growlithe Sun 10-Mar-13 08:28:34

racing I'd probably do that if you are sure you can get to a pharmacy pretty soon after you get there. Although if you do get it here, make sure you get stuff that is good for Asian Tiger Mosquitos.

I think the best bit of advice we got locally was to apply during the day as well as at night.

The campsites sell massive citronella candles which are a must for sitting outside with a glass of wine in the evening.

racingheart Sat 09-Mar-13 16:06:08

makemine That's a really good tip about Caorle - thanks.

Growlithe - are you saying it's better to buy your mozzie spray when you get there, as local brands work best?

makemineapinot Fri 08-Mar-13 23:38:41

How of are dc? If not teenagers u may find the water park at Caorle better than Aqualanda de to height restrictions/hordes of teenagers etc and u an get the local bs as the water park is vitally behind the bs station at Caorle.

Growlithe Wed 06-Mar-13 19:36:50

We've stayed at the Union Lido too (great isn't it Porto).

The mossies did get us, especially DH who ended up with a black leg because of them. hmm

We were using the Jungle Formula spray and plug ins from here, but only at night. The pharmacist there advised us that the tiger mosquitos there behave differently. You need to keep yourself protected all day and night. He sold us the stuff they use for ourselves and the DCs, as well as antibiotic cream for DH's leg.

After we did all this we were fine, and had an amazing time. smile

racingheart Wed 06-Mar-13 19:29:07

Oh all this sounds brilliant. Thank you. Can't wait now.

Porto we're going this summer.

Venice plans are: ride a gondola, visit St Marks Square and Rialto bridge, go to a mask shop, (DC's LOVE dressing up and have already been googling masks) climb a clock tower.

Also want to go to Murano glass island and Aqualandia, eat ice creams and pizzas (DC), drink cheap sparkling wine (DH and me) and spend hours on the beach.

MTS thanks for that tip about shorts, as I would like to sneak a quick look in some of the churches.

Rosa Wed 06-Mar-13 16:32:07

It a great area for families, getting to Venice is easy ...never been to keycamp as I stay in Cavallino just up the road..

It's wonderful! DD (then 6) and I went for two weeks in August 2012. Our mobile home was good, lots of other families with kids nearby so all the kids played together and she loved the kid's club.

I would drop her off in the morning, get a pastry from the supermarket and an espresso from the bar and lie on a sun lounger until getting her at lunch...and repeat.

We also went to the water park Aqualandia with all the other families which was brilliant. Apart from that we went into Venice one day which was so easy by bus and boat. We got takeaway sandwiches and pizza for under €5 and sat watching the gondolas.

They spray late at night to keep the mosquitoes down and the Keycamp mobile homes are in shaded areas so don't get too hot.

Fluffy1234 Wed 06-Mar-13 10:14:25

Forgot to say the beach at Ca Savio is great, literally on your doorstep.

MTSgroupie Wed 06-Mar-13 09:17:36

The waterside restaurants are very, very expensive. Just to give you an idea, the prices for starters is what you would pay for a main course at a London restaurant. We were ok with that but it was so funny watching a succession of customers sitting down and then leaving once they got the menu.

On the subject of gondolas, it is a bit of a rip off but it has to be on your to do list. You can share a ride if there is only two of you and money is an issue.

The religious sites won't let you in if you are in shorts.

There are touts by the gondolas that will offer you a water taxi ride to one of the glass factories on the other islands. After the tour they will try to sell you stuff from the factory shop. It's quite civilized so no face in your face hard selling involved. Just show disinterest and they will leave you alone.

Apart from that .....

It's a beautiful place that still looks like the paintings done centuries ago. Enjoy.

Fluffy1234 Wed 06-Mar-13 09:03:56

I've stayed at Ca Savio in a ready tent and didn't find Mosquitos a problem. When you visit Venice try and get a plan of what you want to do. We kind of wandered around but feel we could have got more out of it (good excuse to go back).We also did a day trip to Verona which was a long day but so worth it. I actually preferred it to Venice. Have a great trip, the sparkling wine in the pizzeria restaurant was very good.

Portofino Wed 06-Mar-13 08:50:56

When are you going? We went to Union Lido (nearby) in June and had a fab time. They sprayed the site regularly - I don't recall mossies being that much of a problem.

racingheart Tue 05-Mar-13 19:49:19

I've just booked with Keycamp and now found all the mozzies and no air-con Trip Advisor reviews. Really hoping someone can come on here and tell me it's wonderful.

Can't wait anyway. DC will love Venice - all those boats, all that ice-cream, and we all love the beach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now