Festivals with kids: what happens in the evening??

(4 Posts)
mimolette Tue 12-Feb-13 13:19:28

Very useful thread, I was wondering the same thing.
What's the camping like? I sleep badly in tents anyway and can't imagine what t would be like to have a toddler in there too!
Of the festivals I have been to, Cambridge Folk Festival was probably the best set up for little ones (and you could probably book a b&b), though Glastonburry would be good for older ones I think.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Fri 08-Feb-13 15:04:02

You generally stay out as long as you are able and then go back to your tent. We never see a headiner together with the dc because either they are normally out by then - easier if yours are very young and spark out in a wagon but with junior aged dc its trickier.

Best to go in a group and take turns with someone being at the tents.

I am not sure I would travel to any in the UK specially - theres lots of good Europe based oens if you are in Europe. But if I had to then it would probably be a latitude type one. Ee dont do that one as it is too big for us but its a good balance of big acts and quiry stuff.

We've taken our 2 to festivals since they were 6months (DD) and 2 yrs (DS).

We just take them where we go in the evenings. At that age they would generally fall asleep in the pushchair /sling and they'd have ear defenders on. As they got bigger (DS was 4 and DD was 2yr6m) last time we went they stayed up later and would nap between bands in the evening & dance to the acts.

Sometimes DH would go off on his own for a bit & I'd have the pair of them and vice versa.

We're not doing any this year due to a combination of DC3 is due April/May, money and me not wanting to be left with three children, while DH gets drunk.

We've been to beautiful days which has a fab family/children area and theatre tent, is nice and small and has a fab folk, alternative atmosphere meaning my nearly 3 year old DD keeps asking to watch the BBC radio 2 folk awards on I player as she loves Bellowhead!!

Writergirl Fri 08-Feb-13 14:51:53

Hi festival-goers:
I used to love festivals, not that I've been to many, and now that I have a family, want to try a festival, with my DP and kids.

Key question: what happens in the evening? Are bands on all night? Do you take the kids? Is it too loud? Does the music keep the kids up? Should the parents take friends, so whoever is babysitting isn't going to gigs on their own?

How likely is it that kids get lost?

I've got ages 2.5, 4.5 and 9. I think they'd love it, but I don't want it to be mayhem. Are they too young?

If so, which ones are good to go to? We don't live in the UK, so would travel over specially.

Thanks for your any help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now