Where in Europe could I send DS on a music course where he'd learn quite a bit of the language?

(12 Posts)
thesecretmusicteacher Fri 08-Feb-13 19:21:35

will do!

it does sound perfect - they aren't advertising to English people, but being English would, I suspect, give him a bit of confidence about lyrics, etc.

Unless it's all Belgian rock'n'roll. Might be getting in deeper than I thought here....smile

Portofino Fri 08-Feb-13 19:19:57

Can.t see why - tis a holiday company. If you are still up for it in 3 years, let me know. I get a discount from work.....

thesecretmusicteacher Fri 08-Feb-13 19:07:04

Ah...smile

I like your guitar one best. We would have to pretend we lived in the area though rather than engage in lengthly explanations about why an English boy was there....

Portofino Fri 08-Feb-13 17:55:33

This company does day and residential courses where you can do immersion French - starting at a younger age. Without the guitar though.

Portofino Fri 08-Feb-13 17:45:29

I could look see if they do any daytime only "holiday clubs" and offer to have him here - which would be cheaper....but we speak English at home, which would kind of defeat the object wink

thesecretmusicteacher Fri 08-Feb-13 14:14:01

10 so we could look to do it in three years' time I think... he would have some school-taught French under his belt. The other children would already be learning English I expect but would be concentrating on music so not using English too much.

And Belgium is not so frighteningly far away.

Thanks Portofino smile that's a good lead.

How old is he?

Portofino Fri 08-Feb-13 10:04:31

My dd has done several trips with that company so they come recommended by me.

Portofino Fri 08-Feb-13 10:03:40

Belgium?

Rock guitar course here in French.

thesecretmusicteacher Thu 07-Feb-13 12:56:38

that would be first choice, yes smile

ripsishere Thu 07-Feb-13 02:46:40

Is it French you are after?

thesecretmusicteacher Wed 06-Feb-13 16:28:32

Any French or Italian or other Europeans out there?

I believe that languages are best learnt initially by ear, and think that classroom French teaching (etc) in this country is a bit hard to pull off because there's nothing the children particularly want to say or do in French.

I've explained to DS that the best way to learn a language is visit the country, but I have a suspicion that school exchanges would lead to him spending more time with his mates/teaching English to the family he stayed with.

So what I'm after is residential music (probably rock) courses aimed at locals. Somewhere where DS could "speak guitar" so it wasn't too alienating, but would have to pick up bits and pieces of language to follow what was happening.

So, where to young French rockers go to rock please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now