traveling aboard for 18 hours with a 7 month old.....advice needed please

(3 Posts)
5Foot5 Fri 01-Feb-13 22:51:56

I flew single-handed to Sydney with DD when she was 11 months. TBH I think it is easier to do this sort of thing when they are under one than it is when they are a little older.

The sky cot/bassinet is a very good idea, even if you don't put DD down to sleep in there while you sleep it is still handy to have somewhere the baby can sit and play instead of being on your lap all the tine, Like fanny I found it easier to sleep with DD on my lap.

I had stopped breastfeeding by then so I took cartons of formula and those bottles where you have a sterile liner. I also sterilised teats before I went and then wrapped them in cling film.

Some things are probably obvious - one or two new toys to introduce on the journey. A stroller is also easier to manage than a big push chair.

At 7 months changing nappies in the aeroplane toilet will probably be easier than with an 11 month old when they want to get up and look in the mirror!

Oh yes and you will probably get priority boarding and special help if you are travelling with a baby so take full advantage of that.

I also discovered that the kindest and most helpful fellow passengers to someone with children are Germans of all ages.

FannyBazaar Fri 01-Feb-13 22:37:52

I took my DS to NZ when he was 6 months, I breastfed him through most of the flights. They give you a sky cot/bassinet but some airlines make you take baby out when the seat belt lights are on. I found it easier to sleep with him on my lap so I wasn't being woken to take him out.

I ignored the HVs advice about feeding him baby rice on the plane, that would have been impossible.

clairebobs30 Thu 31-Jan-13 15:02:20

I am traveling abroad in March to South-Africa with a 7 month old on a 18 hour flight ,I need ALL the advice possible as to hints and tips , as my daughter has a set of lungs on her and she is not afraid to use them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now