Has anyone been/taken their children to CERN?

(10 Posts)
5Foot5 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:26:35

DD is going with the school next summer - but she is 17 and doing A level Physics! I wouldn't have thought it would be much interest to younger children.

Kendodd Sun 20-Jan-13 15:23:24

DH is convinced they won't like it but I think even if we only spend half an hour looking at the exhibits and then have lunch in the cafeteria it might be worth it, especially if it's easy to get to and has free parking. We might be having lunch sitting next to a Nobel prize winner (you never know!) so I think that in itself is exciting.

I don't suppose any one else has been or stayed at the CERN hostel?

I didn't know you could!

exexpat Thu 17-Jan-13 16:21:08

I don't know about parking, we got the tram from the centre of Geneva. Have you looked at the website or had a general google?

As for whether it would be mean - well, I think it's more a question of how much whingeing and "I'm bored, can we go now?" etc you are prepared to put up with before giving up... I always find it way too distracting; I had to leave MoMA in New York after only an hour or so because the DCs were whingeing too much.

Are you travelling with another adult who could take the DCs either outside to run around to give you a bit longer (there's quite a big grassy area around the dome exhibition area) or take them to a different, more child-friendly attraction around Geneva? To be honest, at that age my DCs would have been much more excited about a tram ride into Geneva and maybe a go on a pedalo on the lake than they would have been about CERN. In fact, I think they preferred that even at 13 and 9.

Kendodd Thu 17-Jan-13 14:48:04

I really want to do though. Would it just be plain mean to take them? Oh and can you park for free there?

exexpat Wed 16-Jan-13 13:06:45

I went with my DCs (then 13 and 9) last summer - we were visiting relatives in Geneva - and to be honest I would say that unless you have child prodigies with a deep interest in physics, they won't get much out of it at 5/6/7.

It's really not a museum/tourist attraction - it is a working science facility with two exhibition areas tacked on. Some of the displays are interactive (ie you can press buttons), but they are geared to much older children/adults, involve a lot of reading, and don't mean much unless you understand quite a lot of science. You don't get to see the actual collider, obviously. Mine were both bored in less than an hour. Admittedly neither of them is particularly science-oriented, but we have been to lots of other science museums which they have enjoyed.

Kendodd Wed 16-Jan-13 11:43:45

Anyone else?

Kendodd Tue 15-Jan-13 14:56:58

Thanks

We are driving down to the south of France, it would be a detour, but not a really massive one.

In the exhibition, to they have interactive child friendly stuff? Also can you park there easily?

crazy8 Mon 14-Jan-13 21:20:27

I took my children when they were 4, 10 and 13. We went because we were in Geneva anyway for a ski trip. Personally I wouldn't make a special journey. My older two are real geeks and even they were a little bored. They love telling everyone they have been there but it's not a museum and although they have an exhibition, it's really a working facility. When we were there they had a film crew who were filming an experiment. It's an interesting place but probably better for older kids. Lots of reading about experiments etc..

Kendodd Mon 14-Jan-13 21:15:09

I want to go, my children will be 5 (just) 6 and 7. Is it at all suitable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now