Southern France in June - cottage recommendations?

(22 Posts)
frenchfancy Mon 19-Nov-12 06:35:59

Your right my name does pop up on French treads - that is because I live there.

There is no problem swimming in early June, just make sure where ever you go the pool is heated. Temps in the Vendee are often 30+ in June.

I have recommended lots of places and websites over the years I have been on Mumsnet. The site I recommend the most is the one I think stands out from the rest.

My advice would be to check out owners direct, then check on trip advisor to see if there are any reviews.

Ruthiebabes Sun 18-Nov-12 23:35:42

Portofino.. apology accepted.. thank you.

literarygeek Sun 18-Nov-12 23:11:51

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the tips.

ruthie please don't stop posting! I love the look of the place you recommended and have made a note of it for a year when we can travel in summer proper!

FriskyBivalves Sun 18-Nov-12 22:25:40

Hello OP - you could perhaps stay a little further south in the Lot and Garonne - we've stayed at Meric Gites in dolmayrac (disclaimer: it's definitely not ours!!). It's 40min drive from Bergerac airport and about 90Mins from Toulouse and Bordeaux. Lovely pool and gardens, pretty gites with outside BBQ etc. really helpful and nice owners with chickens etc etc. ponies in next door fields. Really rural but still only 15min drive from big supermarket (hate those endless drives round hairpins when youre out of milk). You get the picture!!

Portofino Sun 18-Nov-12 22:13:48

Have reported. Sorry again blush This seems to be my weekend for upsetting people...

Portofino Sun 18-Nov-12 22:10:51

Ruthie, sorry - I was being very unfair and confused you for soneone else who always posts advertising their own place. I will report my post. I really am sorry.

Ruthiebabes Sun 18-Nov-12 21:26:26

Thanks Portofino... this is the last time I bother posting on this thread. I only recommend it because we love it there. I have been to a lot of places, but since the children we love France because its perfect for families.

But we are having a change next year..

Portofino... unhappy with your comment. I love browsing this thread and (used to) like reading your recommendations. Disappointed in your very wrong judgement.

Portofino Sun 18-Nov-12 19:57:41

Her and Ruthiebabes pop up on every French holiday thread. Probably I do too, but I post about a variety of places I have been.

Portofino Sun 18-Nov-12 19:53:17

Or the fact she is advertising wink

literarygeek Sun 18-Nov-12 19:51:12

Really, french? I thought it might not be warm enough to swim. Although your name implies a certain authority!

frenchfancy Sun 18-Nov-12 13:38:43

No need to head fully south in June, the weather anywhere south of the Loire should be good. The Vendée is lovely in June, try www.vendee-vacances.co.uk

Hi OP, we actually have our own little house that we let out to friends and family but not generally commercially. The Embrun tourist office is very good and has lots of accommodation details. PM me if you think the area might suit you. By the way, the Tour de France is there mid July (we will be there then!) and the atmosphere should be great!

Portofino Thu 15-Nov-12 21:51:39

In the south, south, I have only ever rented an apartment or mobile home, due to cost. Siblu's La Carabasse or Lac des Reves will certainly give you friends for the kids/kids clubs - and the top of the range mobiles are very nice. Bezier/Montpellier airports very close.

literarygeek Thu 15-Nov-12 19:37:09

hf thanks, they look lush! Especially the first one but perhaps a little too pricey based on a 2 week stay.

literarygeek Thu 15-Nov-12 19:30:17

fedup any accommodation recommendations?

We will be going (again) to southern French Alps. DSs love it. Check out lac de Serre Poncon.

hf128219 Thu 15-Nov-12 15:12:33

Www.lescarrasses.com is nice. Www.lesarrail.com too. Or www.montengrand.com

literarygeek Thu 15-Nov-12 15:06:06

Thanks, all. portofino that's the second recommendation I've had for Le Banquet. My only worry is the weather at that time of year...

Portofino Thu 15-Nov-12 10:25:31

We stayed here in the Dordogne this summer. It was lovely. Lots to do in the local area. June would be a great time as not so busy. Maybe not far south enough though.

PrincessSymbian Thu 15-Nov-12 09:33:28

Stayed in a lovely hunting lodge a few years ago but suspect it would be a bit out of price range unless you could persuade a few more people to join you. It really was very beautiful.

Ruthiebabes Thu 15-Nov-12 09:30:06

Hi, can recommend a great gite cluster, but it is in Charente Maritime inland from La Rochelle.

www.bestfrenchgites.co.uk

We have been twice and it is fab.

literarygeek Wed 14-Nov-12 19:19:42

Hi all
Having been to Italy seven out of the past eight years we've been married, we want to take the kiddies to France this year.

We're travelling early June so hoping for southern France for good weather.

Looking for a gite/cottage, or perhaps a cottage cluster where they might be other kids. Ideally with a pool, outdoor toys etc. within an hour or two of an airport we can get to fairly cheaply.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now