Berlin - with teenager. Recommendations?

(36 Posts)
roisin Mon 27-Aug-12 17:00:48

I'm taking ds1 (15) to Berlin for a few days in October, staying very central.
He's quite a nerdy geek; loves museums, history and science.
We both loathe shopping.
The aim is to hear and speak as much German as possible.

What are your top tips of places to go and things to do?

Thank you.

roisin Tue 23-Oct-12 21:33:56

Have fun slambang. [whispers] I haven't reminded ds1 about the Pergamon museum, because I've spent too many hours of my life already in the Ashmoleon and the British Museum, and it doesn't do a lot for me!

roisin Fri 02-Nov-12 20:21:35

We had a wonderful time: thank you all.

The Reichstag is fabulous as is Panorama Punkt.
Public transport is incredibly efficient.
Ds1 loves the Computer Museum and the Ampelman shops.

slambang Fri 02-Nov-12 21:03:39

Glad you had a good time Roisin. We had an excellent time too. Highlights for us the jewish museum, the Reichstag, Eastside galley and both dss got the taste for Currywurst (but I'm glad to leave that to the berliners.)

slambang Fri 02-Nov-12 21:06:17

Isn't it just amazing how nobody checks your tickets on or off the U-bahn and only the tourists cross the road on the red man, while the germans wait obediently staring at an empty road? confused

roisin Fri 02-Nov-12 21:09:23

:-) Snap on currywurst! Glad you had a great time!

I want to go back soon.

ZZZenAgain Fri 02-Nov-12 21:09:52

The Germans know how much the fine is for travelling on the UBahn/Bus without a ticket if the undercover controllers catch you, as well as the fines for crossing the street when you have a red light and jay-walking. They also know that you can seriously TOLD OFF by fellow pedestrians for crossing at a red light and this can be quite intimidating.

Maryz Fri 02-Nov-12 21:11:25

I had a thread on this recently. I'll see if I can find it.

My elderly parents took dd and my nephew and they had a great time (apart from the food which was, apparently, appalling).

Maryz Fri 02-Nov-12 21:20:16

I can't find my thread - I must have put it in chat, sorry.

But I know they did a fantastic walking tour, and another thing they found was this lot who apparently do some very "different" tours, including a graffiti workshop and a free daily "alternative" walking tour which is meant to be very good.

Maryz Fri 02-Nov-12 21:21:34

Oops, I never checked the end of the thread, sorry blush

ZZZenAgain Fri 02-Nov-12 21:22:55

really? I am surprised at that. I thought the food was generally fine in Berlin - quite cheap, decent portions and you can get almost everything there except maybe British style fish and chips.

roisin Sat 03-Nov-12 09:02:11

Yes, the food was great - massive variety, good quality and not too expensive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now