Can you take a 200ml carton of formula through airport security?

(16 Posts)

I had to open cartons, even 100 ml ones through Glasgow to Dubai. I think it depends on who you get at security.

MrsBucketxx Thu 24-Jan-13 08:59:00

I had two made up bottles, which I tasted and they let the sealed ready made on, without opening.

This was at Birmingham.

Chislemum Thu 24-Jan-13 08:53:06

I know this is an older thread but it might be of interest to people flying now.

I had different experiences at different airports.

Heathrow:
first time (premixed aptamil) 2 cartons - no check, that was in November 12.
2nd time (premixed aptamil) 2 cartons - this time I had to open and test sip one carton, that was in December 12.

Stuttgart/Germany: twice (Nov and Dec 12): just X-rayed and shown to security, no testing or opening, again 2 cartons of (German) premixed aptamil

Jellicoe Sat 26-May-12 22:33:53

I have taken that amt (pre mixed aptamil) on plane and they only asked if either my baby or myself would have a sip to show nothing dodgy.

cheekyginger Wed 23-May-12 21:16:40

FYI,

I have just been on holiday to turkey and carried a 200ml carton of formula through glasgow security and turkish security. I was prepared to open it and pour it into a bottle but no one batted an eyelid!!!

JimmyChoo17 Sat 03-Mar-12 11:38:15

You are entitled to take thru milk/boiled water in baby bottles for journey I took into account any possible delays too as much as you can mind as these are unforseen! Baby liquid can exceed 100ml and not contained in the small see thru bag. I also took cartons realising i May have to bin them.....well once at security I was asked to taste the water from one bottle chosen by them and also show that none of the cartons were opened already. Boots had plenty of stock in departures so I would have been fine. They had my brand (aptamil) and cow and gate but no others so that might be worth taking into account too. You can pre order at some airports too.

I was asked why I had so much prepared and I explained that I had a hungry baby which he was, I traveled during a growth spurt!

I work in the travel industry and quite often you find that if you get a real stickler on security, that is when you come up against a problem but most nderstand the need to bring food for baby.

Good item to invest in is those microwave steriliser bags...if u do get delayed and are stuck you can easily use them in a restaurant and they are tiny so will not take up space in your hand luggage. I gave a spare one to a lady in that exact situation.

Personally I would recommended using plane water as a last resort for babies and if you need water boiled...get that done once in departure lounge in say costa coffe or the like, then take that on the plane.

Coming home security were even more relaxed checked that I had a baby and didn't even question he amount of baby liquids I had!

Enjoy!

cheekyginger Mon 27-Feb-12 21:58:33

Thats what i was planning on doing ceeveebee, i'm obviously a pessimist too!!!

My DS will be 12mo, but its an evening flight and therefore i was wanting to give him his bedtime bottle in the hope he will sleep, fingers crossed!

Ladyhaha Sun 26-Feb-12 22:39:34

I've taken cartons through manchester airport and had to open and taste them. Was also told off by security for taking milk for my dd who was 22 months at the time as apparently she was too old for it! They did let me keep hold of it though.

ceeveebee Sun 26-Feb-12 21:18:00

Being the pessimist I am, I would do both ie take a carton with you as well as pre-order as it would be horrible if Boots let you down. If they don't let you take it through, 69p wasted which is no big deal.

cheekyginger Sun 26-Feb-12 20:48:08

See this is why i go on mumsnet. I have the use of many many brains.

Buying at the airport seems the easiest thing to me....

JobCarHouseNoBaby Sun 26-Feb-12 20:40:54

Check this out

There's a pdf for families travel tips directly beneath the big red 'Forbidden' symbol hmm

It looks like 100ml rule applies for all liquids, but exceptions may be made for baby milk and if so, you will probably be asked to open it and drink some.

The pdf file has lots of other useful family facts, including you can take milk powder to make up the other side.

I would suggest contacting your airline and checking what facilities are available on the plane.

cheekyginger Sun 26-Feb-12 20:40:37

We are flying from glasgow airport and yes there is a boots. I had no idea you could pre-order! Thats great, thanks for that smile

Seona1973 Sun 26-Feb-12 20:39:04

they may ask you to open and taste it. You could phone ahead and see if the Boots after security has the formula you want to take and then just buy it when you get to the airport

ceeveebee Sun 26-Feb-12 20:38:46

According to directgov you can take enough for the journey, see link here. But I haven't actually tried yet ( was hoping to do so this summer though...)

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 26-Feb-12 20:35:59

IME yes it is the case - we've never managed it (but haven't tried for a couple of years).

Where are you flying from? Most airports will have a Superdrug or Boots after security where you can pre-order things like this.

cheekyginger Sun 26-Feb-12 20:33:20

Hi all,

Was hoping to take cartons when we go on holiday in May for ease. But it dawned on me the fluid limit is 100ml.
Is this the case even with a sealed carton of baby formula?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now