Talk to me about Sri Lanka

(14 Posts)
christmashope Mon 21-Jan-13 12:59:10

I got married in sri Lanka 10 years ago, it is an amazing place. Locals are very friendly.
We stayed in the mount Lavinia hotel which was gorgeous.
I am sooooo jealous! X

frenchfancy Fri 18-Jan-13 10:23:51

Thanks Firawla.

Current plan is to land at Columbo, then take a driver to Kandy (vi elephant orphanage) then on to Ella, Yalla and finally Hikkaduwa.

Does that make sense? We will have 2 weeks.

firawla Thu 17-Jan-13 14:54:23

SL is a great holiday place, my dh is from there so been a few times - just marking place to hopefully come back later when ive got time n give some recommendations

frenchfancy Thu 17-Jan-13 14:44:30

Resurecting this thread as I'm holiday planning again.

We didn't make it to Sri Lanka in the end as we couldn't get the flights we wanted (air miles) so ended up in Mexico instead.

We are no planning for next year, and Sri Lanka is yet again top of the list. I'm not reliant on air miles so I'm planning on flying Sri Lankan Airlines direct from Paris.

Any hotel recommendations or things to do would be mush appreciated.

JimmyChoo17 Fri 28-Jan-11 11:27:43

Which part are you planing on going to?

JimmyChoo17 Fri 28-Jan-11 11:27:14

Flew sri lankan airlines. Have used them a few times now and always had good flights. You mentioned that you are travelling as a group I would recommend contacting them first as they were brilliant at sorting seats and a few bits for us in flight. Or signing up for sky wards to sort out seating together etc. X

frenchfancy Wed 26-Jan-11 19:31:39

Thanks Jimmy

The more I hear about Sri Lanka the more I want to go. We just have to sort our budget so that we can book.

Which airline did you fly with?

JimmyChoo17 Wed 26-Jan-11 12:03:04

Hi!
Been trying to find this thread after noticing it but not having time to post...

Sri Lanka...all I can say is...DO IT!!!

I decided to get married abroad and chose this beautiful country. (None of us are from there but chose thought it looked nice and liked the culture)

Well - 25 of us went (Children aged between 4 and 12) various aged adults - and had a brilliant time! As we were dragging people out for a week we were worried about how they would enjoy it...well it caters for everyone. Pool side loungers, adventurers, beach lovers etc

The elephant trips are a must and you are in amongst them if you want.

I loved it as did everyone that came...even tho they too were worried they wouldnt. Kids loved it too - the turtle hatchery's were a good trip for them.

If you have any q's please do ask away.

I cant wait to go back one day and take my bubs to see where Mummy and Daddy tied the knot on the most amazing week of my life!

Sri Lankan people are lovely - I really can not recommend it enough.

frenchfancy Wed 12-Jan-11 17:08:51

Link seems to refer to africa rather than Sri Lanka.

Emmy67 Wed 12-Jan-11 10:58:50

Magical Sri Lanka offers so much to see and do you might need more than one trip. Palm lined deserted beaches lay along side breathtaking vistas of abundant wildlife, ancient history and peaceful country hills. Holidays Sri Lanka vacations offer beaches ideal for relaxing like the active seaside community of Negombo. With wide sandy beaches and in easy reach of airports, great low cost eateries, Negombo is a must see for any Sri Lankan visitor.

safari holiday

frenchfancy Sat 08-Jan-11 17:25:44

Thank you so much soli. At the moment I have so many qusetions I don't know where to start. I will try and do some research and come back to you with some specific questions.

We live in France, and as a family have only ever been to the UK or Spain on holiday. We have never had the possiblity to travel further before, and I really don't know if we will get the chance again before the children are grown up. I want this holiday to be a memorable one. Whilst I am sure we will spend a couple of days on the beach I want to do lots more exciting things.

Elephants of course are a must, and I've just found out you can see dolphins and whales. We would probably like to do some snorkling. on top of that I would love to see Sigiriya, and the temple of the golden tooth. I'd also love to do a train journey if possible.

I'm getting excited now. We have talked about this holiday for six months aldready, but couldn't decide where to go, I think Sri Lanka is the place!

Soli81 Sat 08-Jan-11 14:53:15

Sri Lanka is an incredible country and I have been several times for holiday and work.

February will be a good time to go as the country has different monsoon seasons depending on where you go but luckily February is dry season for the north east and South west.
There really are loads of things to do and see and kids will love it, I will definitely take mine when the are a bit older.

I don't know if you are after a beach holiday, but I could consider maybe having a weak on the coast then a weak in Kandy which is inland but extremely beautiful, built around a lake and the home of the temple of the golden tooth, which you can visit and has some great evening entertainment with the Kandian dancer which are famous in Sri Lanka.
Also close to Kandy is the Pinnawala elephant orphanage which is a must IMO. Also very close to the Pinnawala orphanage you will see many opportunities for elephant rides and bathing elephants - this is truly an incredible experience and amazing for kids.

Further away from Kandy is Sigiriya considered to be an 8th wonder of the world and really is a breathtaking place.

Don't have time to write more now but feel free to pm me for info.

WiiUnfit Sat 08-Jan-11 11:44:42

Hi frenchfancy, I haven't been myself but my Mum & her DH got married there in March 2010, they said it was absolutely lovely & they'd definitely go again.

They visited a turtle sanctuary & went on a boat ride amongst other activities, they said there was a lot to do & the food was amazing, local restaurants are super-cheap but super-good!

I'm sure your children will enjoy your family's company & there will always be things to do!

frenchfancy Fri 07-Jan-11 18:12:47

We are planning a big family holiday somewhere resonably exotic. We are tied into a 2 week slot in February (2012). We have thought about South Africa or India, but wondered whether Sri Lanka might be a better plan. We would like to incorperate some culture, something to do with animals and a bit of beach time.

Has anyone been with children? Ours will be 5,10 and 12 at the time of travel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now