something for DD(5) to watch DVDs and YouTube on

(5 Posts)
FlirtingFail Sat 11-Jan-14 20:40:56

We don't have a TV, and DD watches cartoons on YouTube and DVDs at the weekend. At the moment she uses my MacAir, but I'd like to get something else, so that I can catch up on email while she's having some TV time.

Is a cheapy laptop the best bet or is there something I haven't heard of that would do the job? I liked the sound of the Chromebooks but then I realised

Could I get a secondhand laptop? Where do people buy stuff like that?

Thanks!

Cindy34 Sun 12-Jan-14 01:50:29

Laptop, either new say £300 or a second hand one which may be £200 or less. Local independent computer repair shop /parts supplier.

Another possibility is a DVD player with internet access, hooked up to an LCD screen. Not portable though.

Another option, an android tablet £150 or less, with Youtube and Netflix apps. Won't give access to your dvd collection (though you may be able to encode them using your Mac into video files the tablet could play) but Netflix has quite a lot of children's films.

NatashaBee Sun 12-Jan-14 01:56:24

I have a Chromebook and their capabilities seem very limited (fine for what you want to do now but may not be for anything you want to do later). I wouldn't buy one again, I think a second hand laptop would be a better choice.

FlirtingFail Sun 12-Jan-14 09:50:52

Sounds like a cheap laptop is the way to go. Thanks!

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Sun 12-Jan-14 14:36:40

Android tablet would be perfect. Kindle Fire, last gen Nexus 7 or Tesco Hudl would fit the bill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now