Word processing and spreadsheets in Windows 8

(6 Posts)
amicissimma Tue 15-Jan-13 17:41:13

Does anyone know of a good program that will allow editing of Word docs and Excel spreadsheets in Windows 8 (computer version)?

It has something called Nitro Pro 7 pre-installed, which let me at a pdf document in a hurry, but it's only a 60 day trial and looks expensive to buy.

There's online talk of Office 2013 but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. And no hint of the price.

I think I've installed Adobe reader for pdf, but don't know what to do about the Office stuff.

(Windows 8 is an uphill struggle, but I think I'm winning. Why have they developed an OS that requires umpteen third party apps for a normal human being to use it?)

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Tue 15-Jan-13 19:17:48

Umpteen third party apps? I haven't found that at all. I'm using Office 2010 with Windows 8 and 2007 will run too (not sure about older versions but I can't see why not) . Do you have either of these?

If not, then OpenOffice do a free suite of compatible applications.

I actually love Windows 8 as a desktop OS. It's stylish, fast, smooth and pretty easy to use. Not sure if I'd want it on a tablet just yet, but as an upgrade to Win7 I think it's great!

ladyWordy Tue 15-Jan-13 19:19:02

.. Is there any reason not to use MS Office 2010? It works on Windows 8.
(I don't really rate Windows 8 either...!)

niceguy2 Tue 15-Jan-13 22:54:26

Personally I've switched to using Kingsoft Office 2012

It's free and looks/feels exactly like Microsoft Office. The only difference is the free version doesn't have that ribbon bar interface which most people (including me) hate anyway so it's actually a bonus!

It does everything I need and it's much smaller to download and install.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Tue 15-Jan-13 23:11:49

You can't hate the ribbon! It's especially good for Excel/Access development cos you can build much more professional looking interfaces into it!

amicissimma Thu 17-Jan-13 20:53:19

Thanks,niceguy2. I'll have a look at that. I'm coping with Open Office but it struggles with some documents, specially .docx files.

I suspect you might be more technically minded than I am, Pedro. I simply want to use my computer as a means to do various tasks (with a bit of Minesweeper, Freecell and MN while I wait for things to happen), with the facilities I need clearly presented, and have no interest in all the wonderful things offered in a load of tiles (mostly banished at last) and the way I use video and my email dictated to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now