Nerines

(9 Posts)
Rhubarbgarden Sun 26-Jan-14 18:04:19

I'm planning to plant some Nerines in a narrow border at the base of a west facing wall. I know they dislike being crowded by other plants, and prefer a border to themselves, but as they don't do anything till late summer/autumn I want to put something else in there for colour earlier in the year. There are already some spring green tulips there that I'll leave. Any ideas? Anyone had success mixing other plants with Nerines?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 26-Jan-14 21:08:02

I've never had any success with nerines at all. Sob.

Bumbez Mon 27-Jan-14 07:03:07

I had some years ago in my very first house mixed with 1 Aster forgetmenots, grape hyacinths and lots of weeds! Neither were put there by me. I love Nerines. They reliably popped up every year.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 27-Jan-14 12:40:11

Ah, Bumbez I did wonder about grape hyacinths. They are a big thuggish though so I was concerned they might swamp the Nerines. I've heard that some of the more recent varieties are more well behaved though, so worth looking into.

coffeeinbed Mon 27-Jan-14 12:42:02

I love them, not a big help though, I stuck mine in pots.

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Tue 28-Jan-14 11:45:37

No success with them here, either, I think my soil is too nice for them! A neighbour has a fabulous display every year, in a six inch wide border with soil that looks like concrete .... Grr. They are just there on their own as I honestly don't think anything else would grow in that soil.

CuttedUpPear Wed 29-Jan-14 21:46:13

One of my clients grows them in the same conditions as coffeeinbed's neighbour.
They seem to like being squashed up and dry.

funnyperson Thu 30-Jan-14 19:13:36

Nerine bulbs fell into my basket the other day. They will go out the front in the sun on a slope. They are pink. This link talks about growing with colchicums
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3344719/How-to-grow-Nerine-bowdenii.html
I will sow forgetmenots where they are

Rhubarbgarden Thu 30-Jan-14 23:06:47

Ah, thanks for that link, Funny. I think I'm going to have to dig in a lot of grit before I plant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now