Hyacinth Bulbs. Help Please.

(4 Posts)
DandelionGilver Mon 13-Jan-14 15:44:16

My DD was given a present of some indoor hyacinths which flowered really well over Christmas. They are now dying back, and I would like to be able to keep them and hopefully get them to flower again for next Christmas.

I am hopeless with houseplants. Can someone advise me what I need to do with them please. They are currently planted in a metal watering can in moss.

Thanks smile

sanschocolat Mon 13-Jan-14 16:09:42

I've tried re-potting them and it never works very successfully tbh.

The indoor bulbs are forced for Christmas, so they have used up most of their energy already ifyswim. If you re-plant them in the garden or indoors in a pot, they tend to either not reappear at all, or a tiny weak version makes an appearance the same year or the following year.

If you are planting them with a child, and want to avoid disappointment, you are better off starting afresh from September this year.

Have a look here and here for more info. You can get hold of the specially prepared bulbs in August/September for very little money. It is great fun.

These hyacinth vases are also fun for dc here and currently reduced and forcing bulbs also available from about end Aug/Sept onwards from the same site. I use old cereal bowels and all sorts to grow them in though.

HTH!

DandelionGilver Tue 14-Jan-14 14:56:41

A huge help. Thank you, and thanks for the info on the glass vases.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 25-Jan-14 20:44:08

Lidl did them autumn 2013- bulb in vase really cheap. 2 pounds.
May do them next year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now