…if winter comes, can Spring be far behind? 2014 beckons us...

(997 Posts)
echt Fri 27-Dec-13 10:37:07

Okay, so the height of summer is yet to scorch the nethers of those in this wide brown land of Orstrylia, but welcome to the MNettie gardeners of the world. Prop up your sagging fences, evict the rats from your decking, and find a use for that poinsettia.

New thread over here. This one's full!

Potting shed party over there

<sips elderberry wine daintily>

Castlelough Wed 02-Apr-14 20:40:44

Ooh must get on the laptop to see the saxifrage! <no idea what to expect!>

I didn't treat the bank yet Bumbez.

Wildflower man said to give it two wks for the soil to warm up enough for the weeds to grow, in order for me to treat them...so another wk to wait, then treat weeds and sow seed 24hrs later.....!

Have sown aubretia, morning glory and a few home-harvested lupin seeds from last year, and potted on the cosmos. I also rehomed a supermarket-bought mint in a galvanised steel bucket (stealing Hump's idea! grin)...phew!

HumphreyCobbler Wed 02-Apr-14 20:28:05

That saxifrage is beautiful.

mousmous Wed 02-Apr-14 20:09:46

waves to frank
saw first bluebell in my garden today, loads mor to come.
the 80 odd tulips the dc have hidden around the garden are glorious.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 02-Apr-14 19:39:16

Thanks Castle, no results back yet.

Hello Frank, your garden is going to look beautiful.

Some photos fir you. My saxifrage are laden with flowers this year, obviously the mild winter suited them. My fritillaries seem to have multiplied. I planted them two years ago and only had a few last year. Can't remember how many bulbs I planted but I easily counted 70 if them today! Definitely didn't plant that many...

Who's starting the new thread then?

Bumbez Wed 02-Apr-14 19:15:20

Welcome Frank, I had to google lots of those, really like rudbeckia. It's all going to look fab.

My borders will be a blank canvas once the weeds have died, any one else got lots of pile wort ? It must like rain, it's taken over, and is refusing to die.

I'm running out of room in the greenhouse grin every thing is doing well, lord knows where I'm going to plant it all.

Castle did you get the bank sprayed ok?

Castlelough Wed 02-Apr-14 15:28:49

Welcome Frank that does all sound wonderful! I've a blank canvas too, it's very exciting!
Which apple tree varieties did you choose? <obsessed!> What veg are you starting with?
Rhubarb what's the word on Rhubarbcat*? flowers

I am a little annoyed with the wildflower company. They are very slow to reply by email and very curt on the telephone. Still haven't completed my order...still, good things come to those who wait.
I have pencilled sowing the wildflower bank in for my school Easter holidays...all going well.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 02-Apr-14 13:57:24

Wow - that all sounds fantastic Frank. You have been busy. I waited for a garden for many years too, it is great when it finally arrives.

FrankUnderwood Wed 02-Apr-14 13:55:22

Just popped in to join the thread and gloat a little. I've recently moved and now have a blank canvas of a garden - makes such a change to the flat filled with house plants!

Now spring has finally arrived, I've built one of two 4 x 6 raised beds for vegetables, planted two new apple trees to go with the existing old apple and pear, planted some lidl blackcurrants and redcurrants, and just now ordered - 10 salvia, 2 magnolia, 5 weigela, 10 dicentra, 2 mini buddleia, 10 rudbeckia, 10 heuchera, 10 geranium, 10 helenium, 20 heliopsis, and 10 alpine aster.

Hoping for a lovely 3 season bed with a bit of colour and interest most of the time. I'm excited!

HumphreyCobbler Wed 02-Apr-14 12:24:02

fingers crossed Rhubarb

I love that quote Squeaky - sums up the horrors of pruning

Poor Rhubarbcat. I'd be beside myself if Berthadog was poorly even though she drives me batty sad

Squeakyheart Tue 01-Apr-14 23:51:08

Rhubarb sorry to hear about your cat the waiting is the worst.

Love the idea of a rose title!

“But he who dares not grasp the thorn
Should never crave the rose.”
― Anne Brontë

Bumbez Tue 01-Apr-14 22:31:53

That sounds like a great thread title rhubarb. I love cats but Dh is allergic so we have a designer dog instead.

castle It's in a very sheltered spot plus the Isle Of wight is supposedly always a few weeks ahead of the mainland - micro climate.

Castlelough Tue 01-Apr-14 22:29:40

Oh gosh! Hopefully it will be clear Rhubarb. DH's old, old dog (19 human yrs) has a huge tumour on his shoulder that turned out to be benign Rhubarb, so there is always hope xx

Yes to a Rose title! grin

Rhubarbgarden Tue 01-Apr-14 22:22:20

Thank you. She has a tumour. Biopsy yesterday, hoping results will be back tomorrow. It doesn't look good. She's only seven, I've had her since she was a tiny little abandoned thing who sat in the palm of my hand. I love her more than as much as the dcs.

Don't know what to do with myself.

Distract me: how about we pick a title for the next thread? How about something about roses perhaps? Gathering rosebuds while we may or suchlike?

Castlelough Tue 01-Apr-14 22:18:16

Bumbez is it really? Mine hasn't even a pick of green on it, never mind a bud...never mind a flower...! sad Maybe I should look out for a new one with flowers My birthday is coming up soon!

HumphreyCobbler Tue 01-Apr-14 22:10:57

sorry your cat is ill Rhubarb.

Castlelough Tue 01-Apr-14 22:06:04

Oh no, poor Rhubarbcat. Have you brought him/her to the vet? What's wrong? Oh poor Rhubarb I would be just like you if anything happened mine. flowers

Bumbez Tue 01-Apr-14 21:42:21

Wistaria is in flower smile

Bumbez Tue 01-Apr-14 21:38:13

I'm so sorry to hear that Rhubarb sad

I've spent a few hours in the garden today, planted 8 daliah bulbs, lots of weeding, divided primroses and potted on yet more seedlings. Have about 20 Echium Pininana !

Dh is away, I miss him he's better at digging than me

If anyone can tell me how to package ladybirds for safe postage I'm more than happy to share them out smile

Rhubarbgarden Tue 01-Apr-14 21:04:13

Hello. I haven't done much in the garden lately as beloved Rhubarbcat is unwell and I am too worried about her to function properly. It's a comfort to read what everyone else has been doing though. I love this thread too.

<in a sad place>

I have the house to myself tonight which is very odd but meant I spent an hour and a half in the garden once I finished work and have just caught up with GW. (Also been through the playroom and filled two bin bags of crap worn out stuff. Shhhhhh, don't tell the DC)

Jobs achieved in veg plot:
Sifted through another tub of ground elder infected soil, only two more to go...
Planted/sowed my pre-germinated peas and broad beans. Pre-germinated in plastic bags of compost in the conservatory in an effort to foil the theiving mice.
Weeded a few small patches.
Spoke to baby seedlings in an encouraging manner.
Admired flowering borage smile

I picked a handful of mint to go in my tea when I first went out and stuffed it in my pocket for safe keeping. So I did the gardening enveloped in a beautiful mint scent every time I moved. It was quite lovely.

Squeakyheart Tue 01-Apr-14 05:55:41

Castle I also love this thread. I am learning so much and enjoying googling all the lovely plants. Am trying to think where I could fit a daphne in and still smell it.

Bertha the ladybird filled bedroom sounds lovely, if you do figure out the packaging matchbox with holes I would be interested as have only ever seen one in my garden sad

Humph what a lovely day, I am strangely looking forward to your opening day vicariously! I will now be trying to fit a bouncer in the greenhouse!

notanother I hope you can cut the verbena back savagely in spring as I just have.

Everyone else I am enjoying reading all your posts but have to go now as LO stirring and DH getting up ( he appears to have set his alarm clock forward by two hours, silly man)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now