Bee nest?

(7 Posts)
bumperella Mon 30-Sep-13 20:56:10

Bumble bee nests are only active for the summer - in the autumn the new "baby" bumblebee queen bees all jump ship and find somewhere else to live. So you're excuse to leave that part of the garden untended will expire in a very few weeks time. Boo!

ILoveAFullFridge Mon 23-Sep-13 00:10:39

So, not only are bees good and nice, but these famously busy creatures are also an excuse for laziness! grin

I'll do that part of the garden last.

Damnautocorrect Sun 22-Sep-13 23:02:11

Don't dig the ground there, they live in holes I think they need to be fairly deep.
But a bit of pruning should be ok around it

Damnautocorrect Sun 22-Sep-13 23:00:38

Ahh yes leave them, they won't bother you and are lovely to watch going about their business. They won't be about for long now I would think as its so chilly.

Rootvegetables Sun 22-Sep-13 22:50:22

Hello, we had one and apparently they should be left alone, they are only usually around for a couple of months then they naturally just shut down and empty. They are very good for the garden, and quite special really!

MairzyDoats Sun 22-Sep-13 22:44:31

I think you're supposed to leave it well alone, including the surrounding greenery. Because the bees use it as a reference so they can find their way home. Sorry not to be more help, I'm not sure how long they stick around for. I'd be quite pleased myself!

ILoveAFullFridge Sun 22-Sep-13 22:42:04

We appear to have some sort of bee nest on or in the ground in our back garden. Should I do anything about it?

I will need to do a lot of pruning and tidying right next to it. Is that safe?

What about digging the ground there? It's in what I like to call a flowerbed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now