neighbours smelly bush...

(12 Posts)
Carolra Mon 08-Jul-13 13:43:30

Sorry OP - forgot to check back on this thread...

20 - 25 heads of Elderflowers
3/4 unwaxed lemons (sliced thin, seeds removed)
2.5 tablespoons citric acid
3lbs 6oz sugar

Snip elderflower blossoms into a 5ltr casserole dish (be careful to keep the yellow pollen, that's the bit that's probably smelly!). Add lemons and citric acid.

In a saucepan, combine the sugar and 1.7 litres of water. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Leave to cool until lukewarm.

Pour sugar syrup over elderflowers and lemons, give it a stir then cover tightly with clingfilm and leave somewhere cool for three days, stirring once a day.

Strain into clean bottles, store in a cool dark place for up to a year.

Great with Champagne sparkling wine.

nettie Fri 05-Jul-13 16:00:23

Nothing productive to add

But

grin at thread title!

beautifuldreamer Fri 05-Jul-13 15:56:15

I've never smelt semen like this - I must have led a sheltered life! tbh, I find semen has more of a 'raw potato' quality... hmm

Justfornowitwilldo Fri 05-Jul-13 15:27:32

You're really selling the cordial option BrawToken grin

BrawToken Fri 05-Jul-13 15:26:07

I think elderflowers smell of semen <helpful>

beautifuldreamer Fri 05-Jul-13 15:24:40

haha! I never thought about that... go on then, I'll have the recipe!!

Pick the flowers, make champagne or cordial - then it won't smell - the leaves don't smell .

Carolra Fri 05-Jul-13 15:15:13

I have a pretty easy recipe for Elderflower Cordial if you want it?!

beautifuldreamer Fri 05-Jul-13 15:09:27

ps. they have six dogs (big ones) and eight cats so a bit of stale sweat tree smell probably goes unnoticed in their house... !

beautifuldreamer Fri 05-Jul-13 15:07:58

To be honest they're not particularly keen gardeners... the tree and the ivy completely covering their house are there because they can't be arsed basically!!
I'm going to get DH to take down the bits on our side as it is really hanging over now, then if it still smells I think I'll head down the poison and axe route

WhoNickedMyName Fri 05-Jul-13 14:55:49

You can cut anything that overhangs into your property.

You could try having a word with your neighbours, invite them in for a smell and ask then if they'd consider planting something else or get rid.

alternatively you could pour a huge bottle of industrial strength weed killer over the roots of the bloody thing

beautifuldreamer Fri 05-Jul-13 14:51:33

we have an elder flower tree between us and the neighbours - it is on their land but hangs over quite a lot into our garden.
The problem is it absolutely stinks - sort of like sour sweat it's disgusting and when the windows are open at the front of the house the smell perforates through the house.
My question is, should the tree smell like that or has it got some sort of disease?! We've lived here 3 yrs and I've never noticed it before...
And what can I do to stop the house smelling like it? is there something that would neutralise it - at the moment I have plug in air fresheners going but it makes no difference. Also, what are the rules re chopping it down - can I cut the over hang back, or better still take the whole bloody bush out?!

thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now