RIP corner

(42 Posts)

Rhubarb
Winter bloody jasmine
Pulsatilla <cries>
half the raspberries

sad

But the disgusting hostas are fine, oh yes.

Anyone else?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 30-Mar-13 18:54:58

I too am envy at possums and (I think, at other times) kookaburras.

I went to Lidl today to buy German chocolate and left with a lilac and a clematis.

Oh, don't get me started on bargain plants...

I must have bought every 'reduced to 30p for quick sale' we think it's dying plant in a 200 mile radius. A bit of love and they're fine, just very slow to put on weight.

harbinger Sat 30-Mar-13 19:06:59

I've lost my beautiful camellia sad. However, the bay trees and their seedlings are doing fine.

It's too early to say but I think I've also lost a vine (old) that was a focal point of the garden (trellis archway).

All of my strawberry cuttings have survived the snow. Just amazed at that.

Lilacs are pretty much weed trees around our way (I didn't plant another 10 cuttings out along the river bank, no, not me...)

Oh, very sad for harbinger - they're terribly prone to frost damage, the poor things.

I'm a bit worried about eating all the strawberries now - the plants seem to be some monstrous zombie undead life grabbers - I'm amazed they've actually doubled in size over the last month [scared emoticon]

harbinger Sat 30-Mar-13 19:25:50

Stupid lilac TREE is thriving. Over 20 foot tall and in bud. Am going to have to get a man with saw.

Wish I could try cat litter!

Is there not room for it where it is?

harbinger Sat 30-Mar-13 19:42:13

It's in the front 'garden' and takes all the sun (sic)light from the front room.

Ah. In the nearest village to me, someone's grandfather (yes, it's that sort of village) planted a yew about... oooh... three feet away from their front downstairs window.

They have it clipped beautifully every year but it's about the size and shape (and solidity) of the house itself now. I want to do a slow hand clap every time I go past. grin

harbinger Sat 30-Mar-13 20:41:48

Don't even go there. The holly is 2ft away from the house. Then there is the rowan.

We chopped the holly about four years to a three foot stump. Thriving now!

Oh, you should lollipop it! The holly, that is. The last few years I've been going through a real craze for raising the crowns of trees in general, but I saw a stunning lollipop holly last year that was about 12 feet tall, and maybe 5 across the ball - really dense.

Are they all in your front 'garden' <awe>

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 31-Mar-13 00:16:13

My viburnums look a lot better since I raised their crowns - not least because there's now space for some decent planting underneath.

Mmm, my silver birches do <love emoticon>. Never tried it with a viburnum, although one of the gardens I look after has three solid blocky ones in a line that need something doing to them <thoughtful>.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 31-Mar-13 12:26:45

Luckily, my viburnum tinus has a very upright main stem so was a prime candidate for lollipopping. In fact, I was thinking yesterday that I might lift the canopy a bit further.

Abzs Sun 31-Mar-13 17:01:07

harbinger the cat litter seems not to have the same effect on lilacs, but I like my lilac as it is still a managable and prunable size.

We have a coniferous something or other about 3ft from our living room window. I'd cut it down, but I suspect it's roots are acting as a retaining mesh for the rockery/concrete/mound/waterfall thing and also it screens our bay from next door's a bit. It is getting Rather Large though, for a tree with such a tenuous hold on the ground. Time for a good savaging with the shears.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 01-Apr-13 09:42:14

I lollipopped a Portuguese laurel at the last house. It looked brilliant and gave me a whole new chunk of border to play with underneath.

We have two bay trees at the front of the house, that have reached gargantuan proportions. I'd love to lollipop them but they have a scramble of stems so it wouldn't work. I'm waiting for a quote from my tree surgeon who is going to try to reduce and shape them a bit. I'd do it myself but they are as high as the house and I just don't have the equipment.

harbinger Mon 01-Apr-13 18:57:08

Love the idea of lollipopping the holly but as it's a stump plus random branches it looks more like coppiced hazel than anything else grin. It might work. I'll have a better look when it warms up (and I've got rid of my cold).
Abzs the roots were the reason we never wanted to remove it totally. Too scared of what might happen to the house.
We once lived in a house with a weeping willow about 50ft away. Not in our garden but certainly at it's mercy [eek]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now