Rhubarb Appreciation Society

(996 Posts)

Going with Rhihaf's thread name suggestion, following on from the first rule of gardening club is thread.

Pull up your kneeling pads, crack open the elderberry wine and the blackberry gin and come and join us. No real experience or gardening know-how needed.

As mooted further up the thread (might have been on a gin fuelled Friday night!), I have name-changed. The hovery over thing will tell you more if you are confused...!

I am becalmed on the sofa for a moment while digesting lunch (potato salad involving our own mint and chives). I should then do a load of weeding and mow the lawn, but I'm not sure where I'm going to find the energy... Or I could pot on some seedlings and start off more. It's a bit chilly out there, but I suppose at least not chucking down sudden showers like yesterday!

Dawnywoo Sun 28-Apr-13 16:29:42

Lexy Or to give you your new title, RakeABedOfTyneFilth Very much liking the name change (being a Geordie myself, like)

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 28-Apr-13 17:12:56

Love the name change Rakeabed. Humph has to win an award for the fastest ever assembled greenhouse, mine took days. Hope you're feeling better Humph.

I've been going round splitting Heuchura again which is a bit optimistic as they weren't very big bu nothing ventured and all that. One solitary poppy has germinated outside, bet a slug eats it. There's a pile of rainbow chard from the allotment.

Cantspel I am lucky with my neighbours. Think you need to do a spot of guerrilla gardening with yours. Either that or sneak a gnome into their garden with a message, there will be a gnome invasion if they don't plant some real plants. There are some new houses close by that have been built in kind of cottage style and are crying out for plants. One house out of five has a solitary pot in the summer, it depresses me with how bleak they look.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 28-Apr-13 17:17:25

blush I seem to have given the impression that I put up that greenhouse. It was my lovely DH....he did not stop all day. He is very nice to me! I spent much of the day throwing up, sadly, but I do feel much better today.

Had a lovely day pottering around in the greenhouse though, planted broad beans, cosmos purity and some rose geranium cuttings. Potted on the cucumber plant and planted some squash seeds. The DC potted on their sunflowers I put a lot of new alpines into the old metal pots I have, they had given up the ghost a bit so it was time for some new planting.

Nice new name Rake.

cantspel Sun 28-Apr-13 17:46:41

Maybe i could sneak in one night with a couple of tonnes of soil and turn their hot tub into a giant raised bedgrin

Todays planting consists of a chocolate cosmos and 6 hollyhocks.
The comfrey is no more and i have a full wheelbarrow full in the compost bin and a bucket full to make comfrey tea with once i source a couple of large bottles. The roots were amazing and seemed to go on for ever.

funnyperson Sun 28-Apr-13 17:58:10

Potted on squashes, courgettes, sowed spinach indoors.
Planted out sweet peas in a pot with dahlias and calla lily and built sweet pea wigwam a la Monty but not half the size.
Potted on Magnolia stellata with sweet peas to trail up it when it finishes flowering.
Gave stupendous Camellia in full flower in pot to my father who could see it!!!!!!!!!!
Still quite a lot to do but am going to sit down now.
Tynefilth excellent name! I always think of this song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF5xVnTo8gs

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 28-Apr-13 18:02:26

That I would like to see Cantspel . grin Humph, we thought you were Superwoman ! Figured your DH might have had a small hand in it, he sounds great. Sorry you've been so ill, very glad to hear you've been better today and had a chance to get out there.

Forgot to say that my Rhubarb is bolting. DH removed 4 flower stalks from the two stalks. The plants these came from were prone to bolting but never in April.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 28-Apr-13 19:32:42

Great name change TyneFilth.

More strimming today, despite having to lengthen the line manually each time. Dug out more compost and lugged it up the slope to dig it into the bed I've given dd. Heavy clay - heavy going. Only got a quarter of it dug and prepared but it's a circular island bed divided into quarters by brick paths, so that worked fine. I chopped back the grass where it was growing over the edges of the bed and discovered that what I expected to be brick edging is actually rather attractive Victorian scalloped edgers. Bonus.

Then I helped dd sow Escholzia, Nigella, Nasturtium, Calendula and, and she watered it all enthusiastically with her little purple watering can. I'll hopefully get chance to dig the other quarters during the week.

Something is coming up through the grass in the orchard. I noticed them while strimming round the fruit trees. Little glaucous shoots, a bit like sweet peas but not sweet peas. I wonder what they are.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 28-Apr-13 19:36:07

Calendula and Centaurea, that should read. I don't know where Centaurea vanished to.

MousyMouse Sun 28-Apr-13 19:40:18

does anyone of you have woodruff?
had some woodruff jelly today (imported from germany where they love this stuff).
my parents had some plants in their garden but only ever remembered when they were in bloom, which is when they turn poisonous and can't be used for flavouring anymore...

I potted on a tray of lettuce seedlings this afternoon, and cosmos rubenza. Started some herbs in larger pots (coriander, basil, winter savory). Dug some dandelions out from the lawn but left the daisies. Didn't get round to mowing. Maybe DH will one evening this week if pigs fly ...

Rhubarbgarden Sun 28-Apr-13 20:56:16

Mousy I planted some at the last house but never got to see it do it's thing before we moved. Must put some in here.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 28-Apr-13 20:56:40

Its

Hello potting shed. We lost our Internet connection on Friday and have only just got it back. Felt bereft all weekend! How quickly we become used to things...

Pottered about in the veg plot for a few hours over the weekend sowing things and generally encouraging things to grow. Seedlings coming along nicely in the conservatory. Weather looks good for the week smile

Rhubarbgarden Mon 29-Apr-13 21:16:36

Hi Bertha. I am all at sea when we lose the tinternets for any reason. Like a child with a lost dummy. I sympathise.

I went to the tulip festival at Pashley Manor today. Not all the tulips were out, but enough were. It's a really lovely garden and I spent a very happy few hours wafting around in the sunshine being inspired. The kitchen garden was especially enchanting, with rhubarb forcers and curly wurly trained Japanese wineberries on the lovely old walls. They had red currants trained up the north facing wall; I've been wondering what to do with my north facing wall so I may copy that. Lots of wonderful espaliers and climbing roses trained in elaborate ways. Must go back later in the season.

great cake too.

MousyMouse Mon 29-Apr-13 21:28:20

compost heap?
or wormery?

city garden, north facing, only a little corner close to the house is shady enough, but is right next to the patio...worried about rats and foxes.

we have a bin for gardem and food waste but hate the thought of waste. but then I remember the hard work sifting compost as children and the amounts (parents have a large garden and 3 compost heaps, 1 active 2 in different stage of maturing)

Have you got enough space for one of those tumbling barrel type compost heaps Mousy? If not, I would say go for a wormery.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 30-Apr-13 08:19:15

Rats won't be interested in your compost heap if you don't put any cooked or processed food on it. Stick to fruit and veg peelings, tea bags, garden waste etc and you'll be fine. We used to have a fox sleep on our compost heap but I doubt they'd do that if it's so close to the house. But I think if it's next to where you eat outside you're probably best with an enclosed plastic bin type one anyway.

cantspel Tue 30-Apr-13 09:08:49

Rats will go for veg peelings if hungry enough but if your compost attracts mice or rats then it is too dry. Keep your bin moist and turn it regularly and it should stay vermin free.

Engelsemama Tue 30-Apr-13 09:37:51

Sorry for going AWOL the last week, been a bti hectic here. Bank holiday weekend in NL (including today - we're getting a new King!).

Have a long list of things to plant today - a Butterfly bush for the new rock/gravel garden area, a Hebe Wild Romance for the front garden bed, dogwood for the back and some lavender for the front. Got a few other small plants and seeds as well.

We ordered the gravel for the back garden yesterday so once that is here we will be picking some alpines for the rock garden.

DH seems to have his garden mojo back - he was looking at paving slabs DS's section last night (and I didn't even have to ask him). Going to try sowing sweet peas in the ground as well. The ones I sowed inside haven't germinated, though I have a few chilli seedlings. Will come back and catch up with thread later. I've been on MN inside too long this morning. I want to make the most of the fact that it's not raing (like it did yesterday).

rhihaf Tue 30-Apr-13 10:34:59

What sort of temp do sweet peas and eating peas need to germinate? I have one sprout so far....
(they are in individual 3" pots of compost outside in a greenhouse, which gets up to about 25 on a sunny day)

I have a tulip in bloom! It's a gorgeous fiery orangey/red. Bliss. grin

Rhubarbgarden Tue 30-Apr-13 13:58:47

I've identified my mystery orchard lawn plants - Solomon's Seal. Very glad I left that bit unmowed till I'd figured them out.

Happy King's Day Engelse! Dd is clad in orange today.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 30-Apr-13 21:13:24

I thought of you today, Elgelsemama and Rhubarbgarden, when there was a piece about the old Queen/new King on the news.

I haven't done any gardening since the weekend, but it is looking quite good out there. Tell me more, please, about the art of training wineberries (mine is going to need some attention this year) and the edibility of woodruff (I have loads all over the garden)!

Had some potted plants arrive today that I'd forgotten I'd ordered it was so long ago. Came with an apology about their size and lateness due to cold. Personally I think they look pretty healthy compared to the state of my current perennials.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 30-Apr-13 21:37:42

That reminds me. I'm still waiting for my parcel from Parker's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now