Shaped privet (sp?) type plant???

(4 Posts)
Wiggy29 Sun 03-Feb-13 10:01:24

I bought a lovely shaped privet reduced in B&Q the other day but when I got home there was no care label. I've potted it in a deep pot with a drainage hole at the bottom, I put gravel in bottom, lighty loosened the root ball and planted the bottom of it level with the top of the plant.

A few questions- how often should I water it (it's outside of front door so partially sheltered by wall/ canopy) and, do I need to put it in a bigger planter? The one I out it in is only about 5cm wider than the root ball in each direction but when I looked on the internet it said this type of plant needs to be in a planter at least twice as wide as the root ball.

Thanks in advance- you can probably tell I'm a bit of a novice!

Aquelven Mon 04-Feb-13 18:13:37

You shouldn't need to water it if it's outside in all this rain.
If we get a dry spell you can stick your ginger in the soil & if it feels dry give it some water.
If you want to repot it, I would wait till the weather gets a bit warmer, around late March, as that's when most plants begin to think about starting into new growth.

Aquelven Mon 04-Feb-13 18:14:20

Finger not ginger blush

Wiggy29 Mon 04-Feb-13 18:24:57

Aquelven- was baffled for a moment- thought the ginger was some sort of special gardener's tip! Thank you for the advice grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now