Edexcel Core 3 maths module today......

(10 Posts)
glaurung Sun 16-Jun-13 14:45:05

It affects 34000 students according to the press article. In the past when there have been complaints about maths papers eg containing impossible questions the grade boundaries have been very low and many children have done better than they expected to.

I know it's hard when so much depends on it, but there's no point in worrying now- wait until results day and let your dd be prepared to phone universities then to plead her case if the worst happens, which hopefully it won't.

129higherlane Sun 16-Jun-13 14:06:58

Hello to everyone aghast at the Edexcel Core 3 mess from 13th June .
if anyone can answer these questions I would be very grateful

How many students does this affect ? has there been a similar happening in recent years and what was the outcome ? My daughter has needed a great deal of support this weekend in preparation for her final maths exam on Tuesday ( with two othe exams prior to it ) following Thursday's horrendous paper . A place to study Maths and Biology at Leeds ride on these results!
The exam boards have no idea of the consequences of their actions .
Not even an apology.

DS1 took the AQA core 4 paper last week. It sounds similar. Many of the class gave up, came out in tears etc. He had been getting 100 % UMS in many, many practice papers and he was a bit taken aback by it, reckons he dropped a few marks.
There is a multi page analysis on the student room where the consesus seems to be that it was a stinker and hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower.
I realise that your DD did Edexcel. It just makes me wonder whether there has been a deliberate toughening of Maths all round?

Kez100 Fri 14-Jun-13 15:43:57

Don't borderlines change when exams are harder than normal?

perpetuallypuzzled Fri 14-Jun-13 14:48:10

why would there be a resit just because the paper is difficult?

Marshy Thu 13-Jun-13 23:20:14

Hi all, thanks for comments. Have been discussing this over on 'chat' where another thread was started, if you want to have a look.
Let's hope for a fair outcome, as I don't think this wasn't a very fair test.

zamantha Thu 13-Jun-13 22:01:03

My DH's pupils took it - good class in average comp, trying to get to uni. Some gave up, some in tears, all felt really upset. Apparently on student rooms this is the majority view.

My son was part of AQA English fiasco last year - he was upgraded but most were not. You have to hope they do not want a scandal as last year and downgrade marks accordingly. to allow competitive grades to be achieved.

Feel really sorry for all. Know how we felt last year.

mindgone Thu 13-Jun-13 20:36:39

My DS's best friend took it and rang him for support claiming it to have been a " fucking catastrophe" ! He needs an A* for his firm uni choice sad

Remotecontrolduck Thu 13-Jun-13 18:16:56

Some of DDs friends took this, was an absolute fucking disaster apparently, to put it bluntly

They're all hoping for lower grade boundaries or a free resit. Lots of talk of things not even on the syllabus in the exam

There always seems to be cock ups at exam time, it's awful for anyone who's future hangs in the balance sad

Marshy Thu 13-Jun-13 18:13:07

Hi,
Anyone have DC who did this today? My DD went in with quite realistic expectations, I think - knew it was challenging but had prepared well (doing fine on past papers) and feeling pretty confident, even looking forward to it. Came out in bits. Apparently it was really hard and also a replacement paper as the original had been compromised.
There is now talk on twitter that some schools did the original paper and others did the (harder) replacement.
Would appreciate any experiences/views. Will the grade boundaries reflect the apparent difficulty, do you think? Uni place is depending on this.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now