university open days (am I supposed to go?)

(63 Posts)
AtYourCervix Mon 22-Apr-13 21:01:48

DD is off to Cardiff on wednesday.
She's being all independent and insisting I'm not supposed to go.

(apart from just working out the train will be £30 and getting stroppy about timings - all of which could have been bypassed if I was driving)

Anyway. Am I supposed to be going? Can I trust her to find out important stuff like money and halls and stuff)

I'm clueless. Help.

Exeter would be nice especially for geography I think as it's in such a pretty part of the world, with beaches and charming villages. I think Exeter came top in some recent poll for student satisfaction. - I did my PGCE there and went to some lovely village schools in Devon.

I also went to Bristol, including doing geography as one of my first year options. Is a good student city I think. (Am rapidly outing self but who cares !)

I'm trying to think widely about options and think Greenwich, Cambridge or other place in Cambridge, or Amsterdam could all be good ! Or move to Scotland for a few years and then go to one of theirs < cheapskate ! >

DS1's college is running quite a few trips. The cost by coach is only £10 so he is going on trips to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham and Leeds.
Other than that he will have to go by car or rail. Some places are so far I reckon an overnight stay might be necessary. (Actually I was rather hoping for a weekend in Durham).
I was thinking that when he has , hopefully, got offers, that I would go with him on the post application open days on the grounds that his choices have been narrowed down by then.

noddyholder Tue 23-Apr-13 15:04:54

My oldest friends daughter is doing geography at sussex. In yr 2 and loving it Is in LA atm on a 'field trip'!

JellicleCat Wed 24-Apr-13 00:25:18

DD went on her own, booked all the travel herself and an overnight stay in a Travellodge for one of the visits.

I think it is good experience, although I appreciate there are some who find it more difficult to cope than others.

She is 18 next month and has just booked her first holiday abroad with a friend. In other words, it gets worse!! (And she is still my baby too).

Weegiemum Wed 24-Apr-13 06:36:22

Southampton is good as well as the others mentioned, and Edinburgh is top-class (that's where I went) but if she's not going to get points for Bristol then it's unlikely she'd get in there.

Tell her to get used to people asking "so are you going to be a teacher, then?" For the next 4 years at least!

exoticfruits Wed 24-Apr-13 06:53:16

She will be fine on her own but open days have changed massively in the last 10 years and it is now the general thing that parents go too. So much so that they send you a hot drink voucher and have special talks for parents and sometimes even a separate tour.

AtYourCervix Wed 24-Apr-13 07:25:33

Thsnks all. Much appreciated.

Eeeeeowwwfftz Wed 24-Apr-13 07:50:30

Are we talking pre- or post-application open days here? There is a difference - the first is to encourage students to apply and the second is to interview them (if that is part of the decision making process - might be quite rare these days) and/or encourage students to accept their offers. Many more parents (and brothers and sisters for that matter) attend the former than the latter. Various reasons - tend to be more "drop-in" rather than planned events with a timetable; the visitors are a bit younger; it's more like casing the joint so two or three heads are better than one; if they are held at the weekend it makes for a nice family trip to a city.

At pre-application open days I'd say that 80% - maybe even more - of the visitors come with at least one other family member. At post-application maybe around 50% and usually only one parent.

AtYourCervix Wed 24-Apr-13 08:11:57

Pre. She's going with 3 friends. So i'm not the only lzx parent.

MrsHoarder Wed 24-Apr-13 14:23:04

Just in case you're worrying, there seemed to be more groups of teenagers wandering around the university this morning than teen+parent and there are hoards of people in university colours giving directions. They all looked happy too as they got in my way

AtYourCervix Wed 24-Apr-13 15:31:25

Thanks mrsH

mirry2 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:39:01

Parents are more likely to go these day because, unlike the old days, they will be making a significant financial investment (and I mean ££££) and so want to see where their money is going.

AtYourCervix Wed 24-Apr-13 18:01:23

She's back. Jumping up and down excited.

I'll be needing to remortgage the house then.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now