Using other libraries in holidays

(7 Posts)
EduCated Sun 31-Mar-13 18:27:01

She will probably be allowed reference only access through SCONUL, or some will allow anyone a limited number of non-member visits, e.g. Where I was at uni you could go in 10 times a year as a non-member.

sashh Fri 29-Mar-13 07:01:07

I finished my degree 200 miles from home so I had to be creative.

I used my local uni library, my local ordinary library, who actually managed to get some academic papers before the others.

My uni also had a virtual library where you could read books online - it was great.

Your nearest uni library will allow her access but may not allow her to borrow books.

TheCollieDog Fri 29-Mar-13 00:57:26

She will have been given information about the SCONUL vacation scheme. It will also be on her home university's Library's website.

CelticPromise Thu 28-Mar-13 22:29:51

I definitely used my 'home' uni library for law books in the holidays, just had to do some sort of registration. But it was many years ago...

goingmadinthecountry Thu 28-Mar-13 22:16:36

Great, thanks. Will check now. Some old fashioned books may be involved as it's Law.

Lomaamina Thu 28-Mar-13 21:56:36

As far as I know there is a reciprocal arrangement between UK university libraries. See this site to check if this applies to the library she's hoping to use: http://www.sconul.ac.uk/sconul-access. Note she'll need various forms of ID and check opening hours. Note also that most university catalogues are available online; she may be able to gain access to her own university's journal subscriptions via the Internet (assuming of course she's not in need of good old fashioned books!).

goingmadinthecountry Thu 28-Mar-13 21:20:22

yes I know dd is a grown up and can work it out for herself.

She is writing an essay and university is 200m away. How are other universities at letting students use their library facilities?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now