Are there any full time jobs to teach english at gcse and alevel in fe colleges?

(52 Posts)
Veniceredmask01 Tue 04-Dec-12 08:29:25

Is it possible to teach GCSE and Alevel English full time in post compulsory education?
Hi hope some one can enlighten me, I am on a PGCE in post compulsory education. I only wish to teach GCSE and Alevel English. I do not wish to teach Literacy functional skills. Would it be possible to teach this full time. Or would it just be part time hours? Also is there a salary or are you paid by the hour? My university have never given me a clear answer. They keep saying to teach functional skills, I tried this and it was hell I was called the c word and my mentor thought this was acceptable. As you might understand I would prefer to teach learned who want to learn. Is this realistic?

Hope you can help.

goralka Thu 06-Dec-12 15:11:43

there not typo's and error's their mistake's

goralka Thu 06-Dec-12 15:19:24

akcherly scrapp that there definately errors

Suzieismyname Thu 06-Dec-12 15:31:52

Did you do any research before you signed up for the PGCE?

Astelia Thu 06-Dec-12 15:43:01

University's ha ha ha. You want to teach English? Your havin a larf!

Themumsnotroastingonanopenfire Thu 06-Dec-12 16:42:56

OK, Venice, I don't think you are being bullied on here, but you are having the piss taken out of you a bit. Let me try to be helpful.
First of all, there are no guaranteed jobs in any sort of teaching any more. Your qualifications and experience are what will get you the job. You need to tailor every application you make carefully to fit the job spec of whatever specific job it is that you are applying for. It is not possible for anyone else to speculate about your chances of getting a particular post without a lot more information.
MayI ask what your degree subject is in and what you are teaching at the moment? Without knowing this it is hard to say what your chances of getting work teaching GCSE and A-Level. How did you come to be accepted on this course that you are doing at the moment?

ohfunnyface Thu 06-Dec-12 16:48:10

This really made me giggle.

HullyEastergully Thu 06-Dec-12 16:58:28

YOU BULLY'S

MoominmammasHandbag Thu 06-Dec-12 16:59:20

We're all having a bit of a laugh at this, but seriously, I wouldn't even want the OP teaching literacy skills to my six year old. And I would be seriously pissed off if she was teaching my daughter A level English.

ohfunnyface Thu 06-Dec-12 17:46:29

I have read job applications for English posts not entirely dissimilar to the OP.

Cracks me up.

OttilieKnackered Thu 06-Dec-12 21:20:57

I teach full time in the FE sector (although in a sixth form college which is slightly different to an FE college) and currently teach A level only. I have taught GCSE and functional literacy in the past.

If you came to my college with spelling and grammar like that you'd be laughed out the door.

I have no idea how you got onto an English PGCE.

sam11480 Thu 06-Dec-12 21:23:40

Oh dear. Evidently staying at home all day wiping snotty noses has eroded everyone's sense of humour. Veniceredmask has obviously made deliberate spelling and grammatical errors in their post to be antagonistic and provocative. He/she understands just how pompous and power crazy teachers can be. I bet you all couldn't wait to jump at the chance to prove just how intelligent, superior and literate you are spotting these mistakes! How sad.

In actual fact Venicemask is the only person who speaks any sense on this forum. The world has gone mad. Just because it is prevalent in the current climate to be extremely skilled and qualified with little or no job prospects, doesn't make it right. We shouldn't have to accept terrible circumstances and Veniceredmask is right to demand more. He/she obviously has a lot of self respect and won't be forced to settle for second best. Well done Veniceredmask. I hope that you realise teaching is a mugs game and take your skills into a profession that pays well and rewards you. These jobs ARE out there; although teachers who have settled for the rubbish end of the stick will try to convince you otherwise.

By the way, I have a First Class English Language degree and MA, so please don't try to dissect my post for errors. You Bully's!!!!!!!

Sock puppet ^

It's bullies, isn't it, if it's plural?

Roseformeplease Thu 06-Dec-12 21:33:32

This has got to be a wind up. No one with such an appalling grasp of basic English could possibly think themselves qualified to teach Primary school pupils aged 5, never mind adults or higher level qualifications. You are being ripped off in paying £9000 a year for a course you are clearly not qualified to undertake. Do you have A Level yourself? GCSE?

sassytheFIRST Thu 06-Dec-12 21:34:02

Dearest OP.

I teach mostly ALevel English (Lit and Lang) in a large high school. However I also teach bottom set yr 11, bottom set yr 10 and a middle ability year 9 group. I love my job - both the sixth form and the lower school groups.

However I can say with confidence that your level of literacy, as demonstrated in your posts here, would fit in well with my yr11 group. You can't teach ALevel English without being bright, hard-working and an extremely good speller, punctuater and grammarian.

HTH

Roseformeplease Thu 06-Dec-12 21:34:53

Mug's game, surely. Or mugs' game. In either case, it is possessive.

ravenAK Thu 06-Dec-12 21:37:04

I like the sockpuppet. That's nicely done.

sassytheFIRST Thu 06-Dec-12 21:44:04

Sockpuppet has worked harder on accuracy but still requires improvement.

doublecakeplease Thu 06-Dec-12 21:48:06

I work in FE and wouldn't employ you as an English teacher at any level. Your grasp of English Language is too poor. Did your university assess you or simply accept you because you were a fee paying student?

It astounds me that people with a very basic grasp of a subject think that they can teach just because they want to. I had a student maths teacher shadowing me recently who struggled to complete a L1 maths activity with students. She said 'oh, I think I need to brush up a little'. I politely ended her placement.

tethersjinglebellend Thu 06-Dec-12 22:32:33

"By the way, I have a First Class English Language degree and MA, so please don't try to dissect my post for errors. You Bully's!!!!!!!"

Have you thought about becoming an irony teacher? You're inspirational.

HullyEastergully Thu 06-Dec-12 22:52:41

I LOVE the sockpuppet

sam11480 Thu 06-Dec-12 23:00:04

Oh what fun! I see people predictably think that I spelt 'bullies' incorrectly because I don't know how to spell it? It was a deliberate mistake to reinforce the point made in my post; that Veniceredmask made deliberate spelling errors to rile you all up! It's worked again and proved my point that you all have no sense of humour or general intelligence. Those who can, do; those who can't...

ravenAK Thu 06-Dec-12 23:15:43

Not seeing much in the way of successful riling, tbh.

It would've been slightly better trolling if you'd made the OP a bit more convincing.

You might still be able to rescue it if you now introduce a third persona & have a fight with yourselves.

<helpful>

BreconBeBuggered Thu 06-Dec-12 23:15:49

...wipe noses? Do please explain the point of the OP to us peasants, then. The poor spelling and grammar were part of a sophisticated joke to demonstrate the paucity of suitable jobs for the highly qualified, have I got that bit right? The link between the two was far too subtle for our feeble minds to grasp.

Please tell us the punchline before I wet myself.

sassytheFIRST Fri 07-Dec-12 07:49:07

The supposed second input from the op contained the deliberate error bully's - ah, I see, how clever!!

Except that one was a number of SPaG errors: the rest were less glaring but there nonetheless. The kind of mistakes made by the (just) adequately literate but not by those who should be teaching literacy to others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now