Personal Statement

(4 Posts)
boomting Mon 12-Nov-12 15:59:02

The fundamental point of a PS is to tell the university why you want to study that subject. So a brief idea of how you might use that degree when you graduate, an idea of what books you have read (try and say something about what you got from them) and so on is good. Have a look at www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library

niceupthedance Wed 07-Nov-12 17:12:57

Will the university ask for evidence of recent study? Mine did, I had to take an OU module.

Agree with above about talking about transferable skills.

sashh Tue 06-Nov-12 04:08:51

I am interested in studying Psychology with a view to becoming either a Clinical Psycholagist or a Drama Therapy practitioner, currently I am leaning towards the former as I have experience in this area.

As I left school a number of years ago I have attempted to develop my understanding of psychology by reading academic publications.

I believve my experiences outside education will enable me to succede with a return to full time study. (add some bits here about time keeping / working to a deadline)

My A Levels were X Y Z but since taking them my life experience and interests have developed my interest in social sciences and psycholgy in particular (obviously change this if you did Psychology A Level)

Following on from my last post about admissions tutors, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for writing a personal statement as a mature student? I am not taking an access course or anything, as I have A levels, but I took them 8 years ago, so I don't really have anything like that to talk about. I am applying for Psychology courses, as I am very interested in going into Clinical Psychology, or possibly Drama Therapy, although at present my interest lies more in the clinical route. I'm just unsure as to what to cover - when I was at 6th Form it was much easier! My interest initially developed as a result of personal experience of seeing a psychologist etc - should I disclose that sort of thing, or will a mental health history send them running? I also have a limited work history for the same reason. This is a genuine interest - not just a navel gazing exercise, and I have read various books and developed my knowledge/interest etc, but I don't know to what extent I can talk about personal experience, if it all, and if not what I can write about. Reference is also an issue as I don't have a recent academic reference - I could provide numerous character references, but that doesn't really help does it? Is this going to be a hopeless battle given the above information, or do I stand a chance of getting into a good university? Help of any form would be much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now