Does anyone do freelance transcription?

(86 Posts)
lucysnowe Thu 04-Dec-08 13:06:47

Hi all

Thought this might be an easy-ish way to get some extra cash. Is is quite sought after? Do you need any qualifications etc?

Thanks!

acampell8 Mon 14-Jul-14 06:14:06

I am in search of an experience transcriber with administration support skills available immediately to work with us.This advert is intended for skilled individual with at least 1-3 years experience & able to deliver work in timely fashion.These job is flexible and a duration of one year. Individual with Transcription knowledge on Audio files to text would be preferred.This position can be Telecommute.

budget range: $70/hr- $190/hr
Estimated start date: Immediately

Contact info: MOORE CORBY

acampell87@gmail.com

cedriscript856 Fri 04-Jul-14 06:33:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Transcriptioncity Mon 21-Apr-14 00:30:01

FocusDP Sun 20-Apr-14 14:07:23

blueshades Sat 12-Apr-14 01:11:16

Hi, I have been transcribing TV programmes and conferences/symposiums for the past 3-4 years. Appreciate it if you could count me in if you have any available jobs at the moment.

I'm pretty meticulous and double check my work just to make sure I get everything in unless I really can't figure out the audio.

Grateful if you could also let me know your rates so I know what I'm looking at.

Cheers

Blue

TranscriptDivas Sun 06-Apr-14 08:18:24

Morning all, We are currently looking for transcribers. IF you would like to join in click the jobs tab here: transcriptdivas.co.uk/.

If you are new/thinking about it here is some advice we have given out before: transcriptdivas.ca/4-steps-to-finding-a-transcription-job/

Regards
Andy

manju80 Wed 26-Mar-14 15:06:48

Hi all,

I have completed Medical transcription online course and want to work as a volunteer transcriber. I would like if I get some work in urology branch as I have already worked as a volunteer in urology for one of my friend.

My typing speed is 50 wpm. I am familiar with medial terminologies. I am a quick learner and hard worker. I have a kid so want to work from home.

I will be really very grateful if I find a mentor through mumsnet.

Please let me know if anyone needs volunteer transcriber in medical transcription. My e-mail is manjushreeingle@gmail.com.

Thank you.

Manju

Hi LucySnowe, the online work sites like guru.co.uk, elance.com, odesk.com allow you to list your skills for people to hire. I'm sure you'll know this, but it's best to start with a slightly lower asking rate just to build up your reputation, and you should then be able to earn what you deserve smile. Best of luck!

fionathepink Mon 03-Feb-14 09:45:33

Hey

I do transcription work from home. It is a lot harder than it sounds, you need to be accurate and be clear on what the client wants. I work with journalists and film-makers so is not the best paid work when you count up the hours but it does fit around childcare. Logging for TV is a bit easier but also needs to be fast and accurate. Stick out some messages to friends and relatives, you will be amazed at how many people do not want to transcribe their work themselves.

Again, if any firms are looking for an extra freelancer, then I have a quiet season at the moment.

Transcrip76 Sun 02-Feb-14 21:13:42

I've been doing freelance transcription work for years and have recently acquired more clients, if anyone is interested in work please mail me at info@directtranscription.co.uk

nanou240 Sun 12-Jan-14 23:45:52

Hi everybody i'm new in this site i'm looking for transcription job in english langague and french language. if you can help me please and send me available suggests . My mail adress : emnanannou@hotmail.com

miceeanx Thu 12-Sep-13 03:28:00

Hi,

Good Day to all!

I'm new to this site and I was looking for a part time transcription job that would fit my skills and interest. I can do General as I have been employed 3 years ago with a freelance experience, Legal as a freelancer at present and Medical by profession and a transcriber at any field. I'm reliable and flexible to changes esp. in schedules and tight deadlines of the files as per clients requirements. Feel free to contact me at mice.geo@gmail.com. Thank you so much for your help and suggestions and will be looking forward for future opportunities.

Thank you and kind regards,

Mice Franco

hamster24 Tue 13-Aug-13 18:41:42

I am looking to set up as a transcriber to fit in with family life. I would be grateful if anyone could suggest suitable equipment/software to enable me to get started. Also if anyone has any work available, I have a tiny amount of transcribing experience but lots of legal secretarial experience. My email address is jhunt24@btinternet.com. Thanks

lynnesupersec Mon 22-Jul-13 18:53:02

hi, I think I must be applying to the same company for transcription purposes. They want to know what my fee is per minute and also per 1000 words. Do you have any idea what the fee would be.
I would be so grateful if you can help with this, I am completely at a loss as to what to quote.
Lynne

SusanQalent Tue 25-Jun-13 23:16:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

CribePro Thu 20-Jun-13 16:45:28

Hi, am new here and i would appreciate your advice on how to get regular transcription jobs..my email is interiormasterss(at)gmail.com.

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

SallyBrigham Wed 29-May-13 15:14:31

Hi,

I'm trying to get employment with a transcription agency and they want to know how much I would charge per minute of audio typing and per 1000 words of copy typing. I don't want to charge too much or too little - can anyone advise? I have been a PA for over 20 years - audio typing for all that time - so I have some experience.

Thanks!

Squina1 Sat 02-Feb-13 14:55:23

Hi,

I've just created a very simple website and am starting to get work in. Does anybody know how to create a button on my website to enable clients to upload their files? Many thanks.

KiwiJude Wed 09-Jan-13 05:32:36

Great, ongoing discussion! smile Hi everybody, I found this site googling for something completely different and got hooked when I started reading this discussion. I've been transcribing for years (decades) and love it. I'm home based now and have a sub-contractor who does some regular part-time work for me.

I put in some very long hours but for me it is well worth it even if some of my regular clients have me pulling my hair out in frustration sometimes. But for the most part they pay on time, and the work is interesting, plus I do love the flexibility I have to organise my work load so I can go off and do ~stuff~ sometimes means I just keep on typing smile

Susantypist Wed 02-Jan-13 19:56:48

Hello, I am a Secretary based in West Lothian, who in 2010 became a sole trader after redundancy. I provide a transcription and typing service to a wide range of universities in Scotland and England and also individuals.

I agree that if you do want to make any kind of decent money, you do have to start up on your own.

Having previously worked at a Scottish university for four years as a Secretary and Transcriber, I have an extensive knowledge of transcription and pride myself on a quick professional turnaround at affordable prices. £1.20 per audio minute for one-to-one interviews and Focus Groups at varying rates per audio minute depending on how many participants.

My email is: shl1965@talktalk.net

Thanks!

Eglantine175 Thu 15-Nov-12 10:30:10

Audio transcription is great work if you go about it the right way. It is interesting and varied and you need to take into account the money you save in travelling, childcare etc. The way to really earn with this job is to find your own customers. I have run my own company, Manchester Secretarial, for nearly 8 years. I charge £1.50 per audio minute for focus group work, £1.20 for one to one interviews and £1.10 per audio minute for single person dictation. Working for a transcription company will obviously earn you a lot less.

tilly6030 Mon 08-Oct-12 10:31:16

Hi, I do remote audio transcription and it is is hard work and it is not very well paid. I am highly skilled with decades of experience as a PA/Secretary and I type at about 80 wpm so I could earn a lot more working in an office. On the plus side, I can take my DS to school and pick him up and I am at home and available to help with homework etc. My DH works abroad a lot so I cannot commit to standard office hours, but this is a way of bringing in some money without it impacting family life to harshly.

junepage Tue 02-Oct-12 15:03:52

I am an experienced legal secretary dealing with all aspects of the law. I have a typing speed of 65 wpm and have mostly worked in the legal field having worked for solicitors, the police and for the Chief Crown Prosecutor at Nottinghamshire CPS.

My charges would be £0.60 pence per dictated minute. Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you.

June Page

GCAz Wed 26-Sep-12 15:11:40

I am carrying out some research overseas and the potential transcriptionist I have found calculates her rate by page rather than hour. She says that it will work out cheaper this way, but I am not sure.
Can anyone give me an approximation of how many pages per hour of audio?
Also, if there are any transcriptionists out there with experience of Jamaican Patois, please get in touch!

susannehicks Tue 25-Sep-12 14:39:40

Transcription is a pretty good work-at-home option. There are three main types of transcription – general, legal, and medical. Medical transcription requires specialized skills that can be acquired through a vocational training program that offers training courses online, like CareerStep's training in medical transcription in the United States. CS has also introduced curriculum on speech recognition technology, one of the first kinds in the nation. Sign up for self-paced programs that can be completed in 4-12 months depending on how fast you can finish your coursework.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now