Any self employed book keepers willing to help with a few questions?

(9 Posts)
Cebro Tue 24-Sep-13 12:51:04

I was made redundant in July (from totally different career). I have been doing my husbands books (turnover now around 750K) for 8 years plus another small business (turnover 60 K). I have decided to try and build a small business book keeping.
I don't have any formal qualifications but my accountant has given my name to a couple of people who want a book keeper (much sooner than I expected!) neither has used a book keeper before.
How much should I charge per hour?
What details do you ask when taking on a new client?
He needs his VAT doing - would you just get info together quarterly or each month?
Can you give me any advice?
Also any advice on a good course to go on - I've been looking at the L2 AAT course but haven't committed yet, Our accountant quite happy I have no formal qualifications.
Thanks

Talkinpeace Tue 24-Sep-13 21:19:45

you'll need to register for Money Laundering ...

Could you not work for the accountant for a bit to learn how the system works?
THen you won't need your own insurance etc

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Tue 24-Sep-13 21:28:43

I'd try to keep on top of the VAT stuff - especially initially to see if they are 'good' with their receipts etc or not. IF they are good, then you only really need the stuff when the return is due, but half the time it's easier to do it as you go as they are more likely to be able to find missing receipts/remember what they are for etc

What do you charge the other business now?

You need to know if they want you to handle the Drs & Crs or not & what reports etc they are expecting. How far they want you to take the accounts, what system they currently use... how that's going to work with you doing it (if you are working from home)... lots really, but don't stress, it'll all work out.

Cebro Mon 30-Sep-13 13:00:05

Thanks for the answers. Hadn't even though about money laundering.
Have now signed up to an ICB course to get proper quals and sorted.

NoNonsenseNoddy Fri 25-Oct-13 16:56:12

This is a very interesting thread for me as I'm about to sign up to do an online AAT course (starting level 2). I'm thinking that being a part-time self employed book-keeper is a good option to earn a bit of dosh around childcare. (Currently employed part-time doing lots of accounts type stuff for a small business).

BUT... I'm still trying to find out what one might charge. Is there anybody out there who is already doing this and willing to tell us roughly what they earn, and/or how they charge (hourly, monthly flat-fee, per task etc)... Or is that too cheeky of me to ask?!

Also, has anybody else done AAT level 2 online recently. How many hours per week have you needed for it? (Thinking of going with Premier Training).

Thanks!

ChilledGhost Fri 25-Oct-13 16:57:36

I'm thinking of studying part time starting on level 2. What do you need to pay aat every year?

NoNonsenseNoddy Fri 25-Oct-13 17:06:36

ChilledGhost - the aat annual subscription is £84, and there is a one off admission fee of £39. Even if you're not interested in online learning, the premier training website is really helpful in terms of info about the course.

http://www.premiertraining.co.uk/distance-learning-courses/aat-courses/accounting-qualification-qcf-levels-2-4/

ChilledGhost Fri 25-Oct-13 17:22:24

I'm thinking of studying at college part time on an evening. So it'd be the AAT fee and then the course. So you can skip level one?. Thanks

AussieKylie Mon 28-Oct-13 15:09:45

It is a bit cheeky to ask because it depends on where you are and what your local bookkeepers are charging and of course your overheads. Do your research - right a business plan and the web is an amazing resource - I found a few websites for bookkeepers which did have prices (roughly £20 an hour) and that was for qualified bookkeepers in the South East (didnt look beyond that area personally).

I have found that clients are harder to come by then you think, most small businesses cant afford bookkeepers or can do the basic themselves - maybe you could look at bookkeeping training as well as a service stream?

Anyways hope that helps a bit, defintely get on with the studying as when your qualified you can charge more and best of luck with your venture!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now